Is going okay. Everything is just different. Sometimes different is good, but it’s hard to get used to. Class is pretty intense and we have tons of newspaper translation homework, and we’re expected to log 2 hours of speaking with Arabs on top of that. Pretty much the whole day is spent on campus. But things are pretty interesting here:

Kunafa
This dessert is out of control. So sugary. And so good. Only available in a shady alleyway downtown, and there is always a huge line of addicts waiting for it.


People wear way traditional clothing, and then drive Cadillac escalades... Strange
Bidet
So this country does not believe in toilet paper. I’ve taken to carrying it around in my backpack because public bathrooms do not have it. But yesterday came terrible news from our Professor. Toilet paper has been officially banned from the toilets in our apartments. I guess the Jordanian sewage system is not set up for toilet paper, and we’ve been causing trouble with the plumbing in our building… So bidets are now mandatory. Yes, we have to use that garden hose looking thing. And we have our own “bidet towels”. I’ll spare you the details, we had to be in serviced by some returned European missionaries.

Gay Neighbors
We had a class last semester where we talked about the underground gay subculture in the Arab world. Turns out they’re not so underground. Our neighbors are flamboyant homosexuals with two hideous dogs. I’ve been trying to get a picture of them in their loud clothes, but its hard to take discreet pics of your neighbors. I will continue to try. Also, they are not friendly.

3 comments:
Sure sounds like an adventure! No toilet paper sounds miserable though! Oh my goodness! I'm exponentially more grateful for toilet paper right now! And I love that picture of the flag! It's beautiful! Good luck with school and snagging pictures of your neighbors! haha I miss you!
Sick!! ha thats way crazy! i would not be okay with out toilet paper, talk about culture shock!.. School sounds ridiculous, i wouldn't last a day.. i guess its a good thing your so dang smart:) love ya, bye!
I still can't get over that you get to do this I think it's great!
Post a Comment