I think I’ve already established my money saving prowess. I have the best of intentions, and really try to budget, but I suck at it. Latest penny pinching tip: So I have 9 different things to mail, and 30 minutes before I have to bring Dan his PT clothes and get to my Zumba class. And I’ll be darned if I am late AND retarded looking at my Zumba class. So I hurry off to the post office. I have a few things to mail that I hadn’t boxed. The Post Office was really small and I could only see one size of box, too large for my stuff, but decided they would have to do. So I get everything taped up and addressed, doing good on time. Get up to mail my stuff, the dude scans everything and puts it in different bins, and then gives me my total. $60! So those big boxes are apparently “flat rate boxes.” Doesn’t matter that I had like 2 ounces of stuff in them and were going all the way to Utah. They were each $10 bucks a pop. Yeah, note to self: DON’T USE THE FLAT RATE BOXES. 
We had the pleasure this holiday weekend of entertaining our first guests here at “MEALY MONTEREY ADVENTURES (MMA).” Dan’s parents came for a visit! I still had to work Friday, so Dan took over tour guide duties. A trip to the aquarium as well as a visit to Marina Dunes and the gathering of the following treasures constituted Friday’s activities:
Saturday we went on a tour of Point Sur lighthouse. This was a one time thing. Subsequent “MEALY MONTEREY ADVENTURES” will not include said THREE HOUR TOUR. I get ADD just blogging about that tour. I mean, lighthouse = cool. Awesome scenery = cool. Three hours of non-interesting facts and following slow people = so not cool.
We enjoyed getting to spend time w/ Dan’s parents and hope they enjoyed their MMA. Want your own MMA? Of course you do! How could you not? Just drive the 13 hrs from Utah, we take care of the rest.
On to Sunday: I love Valentines day. It’s so unabashedly commercial. There’s no “real meaning of Valentines” or “ a reason for the season” that you have to feel guilty about not really remembering.
We got an awesome Valentine from our niece. Really, is there anything cuter than a little red headed baby painting her own Valentines? (The answer is No.) Richard & Denise were actually going to visit her this weekend, but their flights got cancelled due to the crazy east coast storms. So we were their second choice. Totally understandable, that baby is way cooler than us.
V-day started out when Dan made me blueberry heart shaped pancakes. Delicious. And you know how I love to photography my food.
Being that it was Sunday, we did a Sabbath Kosher dinner at home instead of our traditional Pizza Hut. It was still fancy, we ate on REAL plates (not paper), and busted out some champagne glasses and candle stick holders that we got for our wedding and surprisingly rarely use. There was even RED meat involved that I touched (albeit with protective gloves.)
Nothing says “I LOVE YOU” like a shoot ‘em up video game and a box of candy. I think See’s candies are gross, and thus in my mind they are cheap. THIS IS NOT SO. It wasn’t until I had already loaded a box full that I learned that they are in fact kinda pricey, and the stupid heart shaped box alone is $5. Lauren The Money Saver strikes again!
I was the recipient of flowers! (non-roses per my request) jazzy valentine socks, and a dazzling earring necklace set. Good job Dan! It was a successful awesomely commercial holiday.
Huzzah and happy valentines to all!
4 comments:
That is a fantastic holiday event, good job. I love what your niece did with the valentines I will have to steal that idea later. What's the news on the language?
The pancakes are so cute! We definitely need to go down to those dunes sometime, Dan and I were talkin' about how fun a bonfire would be! And those flowers are gorgeous... love celebrating valentines day... gifts just because ;)
Love the flowers, and the Pancakes!... I'm glad you had a good valentines. You sure made mine:)We will most definitely have to experience the MMA looks like a good time to me;)
We loved visiting Dan & Lauren. They made up for the long drive by being excellent hosts. Lauren & Dan both are great cooks. Everyone should go & see them. They are awesome, & being that close to the ocean adds to the trip.The MMA is great! -Denise & Richard
Post a Comment