Saturday, April 17, 2010

Continued Melodrama


My 12th grade English teacher (shout out to Bart!) once had us write a short essay on the quotation
 "It hurts to find out that what you wanted doesn't match what you dreamed it would be." 
So true. I have a chronic problem of finding something I like, obsessing over it to the point of losing sleep, researching reviews for months, finally ordering and then... Being totally disappointed.
Exhibit A:
Kiersten w/ her camera. Its easy to become very jealous of her and her beauty. 
Fancy camera. It began with envy for Kat and her cool Canon. And grew into an obsession that was sated only when I purchased my own and gianormous lens that were "totally necessary" in order to record my Middle Eastern exploits.  I love taking pictures with it, I do. But a much smaller, much cheaper, Canon would have been just as suitable for the kind of photography I do. 


Exhibit B:
the mixer that didn't change my life
Kitchen Aid Mixer. I wanted one so bad. Spent months comparing models. Ordered one as my Christmas gift, completely confident in the knowledge it would fill my life with joy and bring my culinary prowess to new heights. It hasn't. 
Yes, my legs really are that white. 
Latest case in point: Shabby Apple dresses. I've been looking at them for approximately a year, and getting as far as putting them in a shopping cart - then backing out, for about 3 months. So I finally pulled the trigger under the pretense of an Easter Dress. I narrowed it down to two, ordered them both, and then planned on deciding which to keep when they got here. 
Really wasn't kidding about the translucent legs
They came in time for Easter and I was elated! Except, they are totally shoddily made. Not as bad as "Lauren made her own Halloween costume", but still pretty bad. Dresses of that price point should at least be lined and have smooth zippers! Another obsessive purchase disappointment.
My getting a picture of the dresses turned into an episode of America's Next top model, with Dan serving as both Nigel Barker and Miss J
So... The point of all that is, this blog post is to serve as a reminder to myself that OBSESSIVE PURCHASE DO NOT EQUAL HAPPINESS (on to the theory that impulsive purchases do). 

In other news...
My beloved and faithful Civic took a beating on Sunday when Dan got rear ended as part of a big rain storm induced crash. 


Poor Civic is in the shop getting fixed up. The logistics of two people sharing one car is tricky, but no car is impossible. So we have a rental car in the form of this monstrosity:
 I feel incredibly dangerous and self conscious driving it. I feel like I'm always about to hit people and in their heads they're thinking "Stupid Red neck in that bright blue dodge!" But it came in handy for the Boy Scout camp out that Dan is currently on.
Maybe it is the loneliness of being home alone all weekend (having already watched the new Glee three times), but I really really want a dog. I even miss this little demon:
On to the New Recipe of the day: I have a have an unwavering love for Chocolate Chip cookies. Their batter is my favorite "food", which I generally eat till I feel extremely ill.
I've been intrigued for a while by a recipe that I've seen on several food blogs for a New York Times Choco Chip Cookie. Its a recipe from this famed baker, and I thought I'd give it a go. I required several things I normally don't have: Bread Flour, Cake Flour, Unsalted Butter, 60% Cacao baking rounds, and enough patience to let it chill undisturbed for 36 hours. It wasn't easy and required a small fortune spent at Whole foods. But I made them. And they were pretty good.

 But not the mind blowing food experience I had hoped. More dashed dreams. Back to my good old Nestle friends. 


8 comments:

The Burr's said...

I hate when I make purchases thinking I have to have it!!! Then whenever I see the purchased item I think why did I buy that... I didn't need it! I do love your red kitchen aid though. ours is white..(not my fav)! Your dresses are very very cute, but I don't think I want to know how much they are;) I can't believe the civic got in a wreck.. that car is the most rugged vehicle out there! It has most definitely been through a lot. Well in all don't feel too bad about the purchases you don't need. I'm pretty sure most people have the same problem to some degree.. I know i do:) Oh and I am here to talk if your bored.. Those dang camp outs leave you very lonely, I m not a fan!

Лена said...

Lauren, from the pictures you can't tell the quality of the dresses, and so I'm just going to say that I like the black and white dress. Looks good on you. You are a pretty good model! Dan.... not so much!:) lol

Jennifer said...

You seriously crack me up, I love you! It's good to know about the dresses because I too have looked but not bought do to the mear fact the price was so much. Thanks for the info. and your not alone in your shattered dreams we all have them.

Jennifer said...

Oh and I know how you feel about driving a truck there. I don't think a single parking space was painted in mind for a large vehicle, dang hippies.

Aimee said...

I have the same problem with the dress thing. My problem is that I just go to the store think the dress looks cute and buy it but because I hate trying things on when I get home and realize how dumb it looks on me I get mad that I didn't try it on at the store and then I don't want to go back to return it so I'm just wasting money.

Jane said...

My latest thing is I am convinced that price correlates with quality. I see this is not always true. I've never even heard of shabby apple, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for taking one for the team, now I know not to buy anything there. :)

Anna said...

What a dud online purchases are. I would like to advise you to start texting me for ideas to keep you entertained when you are feeling bored because no human should be spending their time waiting for cookies to chill for 36 hours.

Rebecca Luke said...

Okay, so I feel like I haven't seen you in FOREVER (insert clip from "The Sandlot"). Sorry I have been absent, especially from your blog! I have been reading though... just apparently to lazy to comment? Anyways, this post totally cracked me up! Why can't things just be as good as we think they're going to be? It would make life so much easier! I do love the black and white dress on you, but since I've seen the shotty workmanship up close, I understand your disappointment. Guess you'll have to go shopping!!!! Anyways, let's do something.... SOON!