(me in Haifa, Israel- has nothing to do w/ the post)
In my recent quest to be readmitted to BYU, I've given a lot of thought as to my return to BYU and what will happen after I finish those 15 dang credits and graduate. I gave myself an ultimatum for deciding what to do with my life: spend a whole year off school in Monterey and decide what to do by the end of it. Well, its been 8 months and I'm still no closer to a decision.
As a young BYU Cougar I was perplexed/outraged at how many Young Women stuck to conformist roles and majored in either A) Elementary Ed or B) Nursing. As I grew in my cougar years, I watched as my female peers "gave up" on dreams of Medical or Law school, finishing a Bachelor's degree (in the best cases) and then opting for a life of Stay at home wife/motherhood - and I was again perplexed/outraged.
Well, in my (partial)year of soul searching, I've come to a great realization: There is a reason women do this.
1) The most important job women have is motherhood. For a lot of Young women this is a "duh". But for me it took a while to gain a testimony of. I'm a person who likes validation and recognition, and motherhood does not offer the same level of that (at least from the world) that say becoming a brain surgeon does. I now truly believe that I will find no greater fulfillment that when someday (in the far distant future) I become a mother.
2) Women have time restraints. It is near impossible for a woman to attend school full-time (as is required for Law/Medical/Most post bachelorette programs) and fulfill her responsibilities as a wife and mother. So while men have the option to have a family while still pursuing education, women really don't.
3) Many women have to become the bread winners in their families at some point in their lives for a myriad of reasons (divorce, injury, death, or unemployment of spouse.) And when it comes time to step up to the plate, it is important that she not only have a degree, but skills that qualify her for the workforce. Such as Nursing or Teaching! It makes sense! A liberal arts degree (like mine) qualify one for... I'm not sure what? I still think women should pursue their interests, but also have a plan as to how their interests translate into a marketable skill.
And that is where I messed up.
In this month's Ensign their is an article about a Single Mother returning to school to support her family. The church employment counselor laid out for her a few education choices: all of them with a terminal vocational ending. I hope I never have to be the sole income supporter for my future family. But I want to be prepared if I do. So, onto more contemplation on how to remedy my situation (I still have at least a several months left - no word from Cougarville). But to my younger sisters and others: Start out with a plan!
8 comments:
You are amazing and good for you! Even if you never have to use said degree at least you can be a wonderful example to your children of the importance of an education.
I love when people share their self-realizations (did I even spell that right??). All I can say it write them down you might realize them again but rest assured you will continue to learn so much about yourself. Sounds cliche but I'm proud of you.
wow you weren't joking.. you did spend a lot of the morning laying in bed thinking.. haha
dan
Im so glad you finally:) have a testimony of Motherhood! It is for sure not easy, but it is very rewarding in its own way. I'm with you on the education thing.. I need to finish! Its not something you want to think about, but should! I am very interested to know if you are thinking about another field? BTW the picture that has nothing to do with the post is Gorgeous! (you and the city).
Way to go, Lauren! I didn't come up with the plan till I was about 23, so you beat me!:) Hope, you can put your plan to action soon! How exciting!
That's partly why I didn't continue persuing my interior design degree. Just no point. I will be anxiously awaiting the new Lauren plan. Nurse Lauren, Mrs. Lauren, or even better, MOM!!! Haha Thank goodness for plans. I love them, they help me sleep at night. As will yours I'm sure when it's decided upon. You can create the life you want for yourself, you just have to know what you want and DO IT! That's what I did and you will too.
Lauren, you inspire me! This is definitely why I picked my degree though. Now if I could just survive the couple more years of school so i can actually put this plan into action!
well....I failed. no kids, no plan. I'll get there. Right?
hey. i think you are so rad.
and i know we're hardly even aquaintences as of late. but i fell upon your blog yet again.
and i want to be inspired by you.
so... i'm going to click the follow button, okay?
have a lovely day.
tifffffani herpel
tifsong.blogspot.com
Post a Comment