Sunday, November 28, 2010

TurkeyLand! Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, TURKEYLAND!*

(* Chorus from traditional Parowan Elementary Thanksgiving Song. My dad sings it. And it is incredible.)
In the hierarchy of Lauren's Favorite Holidays, Thanksgiving ranks pretty much near rock bottom (just below Rosh Hashanah). For a person who doesn't eat turkey, this holiday holds little appeal. However, I whole heartedly embrace any reason to go to St. George. Plus, with all the awesomeness that transpired this Turkey Season, the holiday may have to move up in my ranking system:
I’ve missed out on the awesomeness that is the Jubilee of Trees the past few years. So I was overjoyed to make it just in time for the final day! Our Neighbor Mrs. Doty sponsored several sections of it – had to get a picture with the giant poster of her. There were some cool trees- but the entire Jubilee was a lot smaller than usual. I think the downsizing was indicative of the recession, which appears to have hit my beloved STG quite hard. 
Due to the fact my mom’s kitchen is still being remodeled, we did Thanksgiving with one oven at my Grandma’s house. It all worked out and the food was as always delightful. 
We got to enjoy it with both sets of Grandparents, plus my Uncle Nate and cousin Allie.
kat, biting into the turkey neck, that my mom boils, just incase there's insufficient gravy. yeah.
 I made improvement on pies (though last years was more of a chocolate soup) and rolls (read: unrisen rocks) from last year – but I still have a ways to go before I achieve Thanksgiving Chef Star Status. 
In an effort to combat post-glutton day obesity, the ever thin Anna organized the first ever “BENSON FAMILY TURKEY TROT.” It was a relay composed of .5 mile and 1 mile legs.  
My team won, (almost solely because of my supernaturally fast Dad), and was rewarded with fine trophies courtesy of Anna. Many have already begun training for next year’s endeavor. 

Every time I go home I harbor the hope that this will be the time I will leave without crying. That I will finally be a grown up and able to leave my family without a breakdown. No such luck, as my puffy eyes would indicate. I persevere knowing that I shall return in 3 short weeks for Christmas, thereby giving me another chance at a dry-eyed departure. It could happen. But it probably won't. 
I miss each one of them too much. Even the obese beagle. Especially the obese beagle. 

6 comments:

Лена said...

Your family knows how to have fun and stay healthy on the laziest holiday of all!:) I'm excited for you guys to come up here for Christmas so we can see you! Right now we are counting down the days till Aleks gets here(and it can happen any day, my doctor tells me), but as soon as he is here it will be count down till you come to Salt Lake!

Anna said...

Your presence is much missed! I am going to attend every cycling class possible until Christmas, then we will have a Crisp Christmas Cycle relay dressed as elves.

Aimee said...

I just love your family, wish we could of all "known" each other a bit better growing up and that is why I fully embrace the blogs.

Jennifer said...

I have to agree with Aimee on everything she said.

I'm so glad you were able to go home for a visit and that you will be able to go back at Christmas. It's not bad to be sad when you have to seperate but I promise over time it gets easier so don't worry about the tears now.

The Burr's said...

I'm so glad Anna came up with a way to fight obesity... ha. looks like too much fun! (A great idea though, I need to start such a tradition) It was so fun to see you in STG, I'm glad we got to hang out. And you'll be back in three weeks... Yeah!!

Alex Obering said...

Hahahahah Lauren. You are so freakin funny.