So Dan was supposed to go on a two week training mission to Cameroon in April. However, last Monday he got an email with orders to Nigeria, leaving that Sunday! When he called his command, they told him things were still up in the air. Up in the air indeed. He kept getting told it was cancelled, not cancelled, cancelled, not cancelled... On Wednesday morning he got an email with plane tickets leaving to Nigeria on Thursday. So we rushed around, packing, picking up anti-malaria drugs, getting everything ready, till he gets a call that evening telling him that the mission is indeed CANCELLED. Since Dan's bags were already packed and it was a long weekend, we did the only logical thing: Headed to St. George. It's not quite Nigeria, but its warmer than Salt Lake! Though in some ways I think our trip was rather similar to any army training he would've gotten...
Weapons Course
No trip to STG is complete without a round of shooting things in the desert. This time my Dad upped the ante by purchasing this lovely "Bleeds when you Shoot it" zombie target.
SURVIVAL SKILLS COURSE
Anna and I ran down from the Ledges and met the family at the Chuckwalla trailhead for a nice afternoon Red Cliffs hike in the sun! We survived this rigorous adventure and were rewarded with ice cream from my dad's latest food obsession: Marble Slab Creamery.
BUILDING MISSILES
Well, we were trying to build rockets... But Dan and I's shot in the air about 10 feet and then dove straight down, nose cone in the ground- making it more of a guided missile. ROCKET DAY was still awesome/hilarious - despite my Dad's best efforts and premature victory dance, it was actually my Uncle Matt's rocket that took home the cake this year!
Admittedly, this army lingo tie in is pretty weak... But I did to get to catch up with my friend Brandalee for a little bit, while she made this awesome wedding cake. I was totally helpful, I actually broke one of the decorative paisley swirls. Sorry again about that. I also got to see her little guys and kiss the top of Paxon's head - always a plus.
{I also found a folder of pictures from Africa that I've been looking for a long time for. Yes, I was once blonde and tan.}
I feel bad for Dan not getting to go to Africa, its a pretty cool place and all. But, I still stand by the fact that
St. George, UT is the best place on planet earth.
.jpg)


6 comments:
SO blonde and tan. I'm going to have to hear more about Dan's job next time we're together. It seems rather intense no? You'll have to tell Brandalee her kids are cute. Her blog is private so I don't read it. Your last picture reminded me that it can always be worse... at least you're not sunburned! (also I just realized how strange that last part sounds if it's a stranger who reads it.)
i so totally agree. st.g for the win.
I have been patiently craving a new post by you. Thanks for the fix. I feel much better now.
I hate when that Go/NoGo happens. I'm glad that you've had a great time together. That's always much better than being apart.
Looks like a lot of fun. I need to get one of those Zombies for Daniel.
Looks like a super fun/Crazy weekend!! It was so good to see you! ( I like how you tied us in:) ha! We definitely need some excuses to hang out more! (except i haven't ran in like a month, could be a problem if we want to run some races together:)
Thanks Jane! We think they are cute as well:)
Post a Comment