![]() |
| {Bonfire are the best. Especially this year - it was COLD! } |
Things started off well. Anna and I ran together the first 6 miles and I was buoyed up by the fact that we could make fun of peoples' bizzare choices together (who runs a marathon without shoes? or pulls 5 inches off the road to squat and poop? or wears a full blown spiderman costume?) and ran at a fairly decent clip. But as soon as we hit the evil veyo hill, she peeled off while I struggled to keep moving at a pace marginally above that of a protected desert tortoises'.
![]() |
| (they make it all too easy to jump in) |
But the thing that kept me going was the posters my Dad had made. He had spent all this time lovingly handcrafting this motivational poster for me to see at the finish. I had to make it to the finish! (Please note that if I had known that my dad was actually not at the finish - my grandma thought she had broken her hip and needed him - I definitely would have bailed.)
(For the record, my sisters both beat me. But they are way younger. So it doesn't count)
Somehow, I kept jogging (read: slowly shuffling) and made it across the finish line at 4:36. I cried. I hurt. I was embarrassed of my time. I hurt. But mostly I was just so glad it was over.
My mother, who is now a professional at tending to her children with masochistic running tendencies, made us a nice ice bath, then served us pizza as we sat in her jacuzzi tub. Truly, life does not get better than that.
I was a bad person and didn't take any pictures, but it should be noted that Dan, Kiersten and my parents were an excellent support team. Full marathons are truly awful (especially if you do not train.) I think that Anna, Katheryn and I should make a blood oath now, before our soreness dissipates to NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. I MEAN IT THIS TIME!




5 comments:
First off, YAY for a blog post. I've missed reading about Lauren's Crazy Adventures. Secondly, I cannot believe you can run a marathon without training. You must be a robot. Or a superhero. I honestly probably can't even run a mile these days so hats off to you! And you've already met your quota for marathon running (and mine for that matter) so it's probably ok to at least take next year off. :)
Okay first of all do not be embarrassed by your time, that's amazing! I was laughing and loving your post because it is all too familiar to me! Congratulations!! How do we get sucked into these painful things time and time again! I hope you and Dan are doing well, miss you guys!
If I were to not train for a marathon and then try to run one you would be reading my obituary not a blog post. You amaze me
Wow I can't believe you keep doing those! And no training? That's crazy! But note I'm in the "running is miserable so I don't get it" camp. Lol!
I think all of you are amazing!
Post a Comment