Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Champion Among Artichokes

So, a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to get back into running. I found a nice little 5k coming up in 3 weeks and signed us up.
(Me before the race, sure of my eminent domination)
I thought 3 weeks was plenty of time to get in shape enough for a good time in such a short race. I hit the treadmill and worked up to a speed which I though would insure complete race domination... 
(A less than enthused pre-race Dan)
Then came the day came for our big Castroville Artichoke Festival 5k! Turns out treadmill running is a bit different that actual running. Actual running has things like an incline, differing terrain, weather, and there isn't a ground moving beneath you propelling you forward. Actual running is hard. And I suck at it.
(the course went through the artichoke fields.)
I finished, at an okay time - but I'm now moving my running activities outdoors. It's for the best - though I'll miss watching Biggest Loser while jogging. 
Dan however did great at our little 5k! He got 13th Overall and 1st in his division. He got a medal and is very proud of it. I'm happy for him, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Lauren, how does it feel to be married to champion?"  "Do you know who I am? I am a Champion." etc etc etc.
I'm just happy I have this awesome shirt to sport around town.
We were also the lucky recipients of two artichokes a piece, for which I need to find a purpose. Not gonna lie, I've never cooked/bought/touched an artichoke before. Perhaps I'll just put sunglasses on them.

11 comments:

Лена said...

Sun glasses will look great on the artichokes... Maybe you could sew little hats for them too:) lol

The Burr's said...

ha ha Honestly have we learned nothing from our cross country days? ha except we did place first and second in a race:) ha. I love the Running artichoke... How clever! Oh if you do find a good way to cook them let us know! we have three of them in the fridge... We already have had one failed attempt. So please do share if you figure it out! Keep up the running, wish I was there with ya!

Rebecca Luke said...

Nooooooo! Eat the artichokes!!!! Artichokes are my FAVE. Oh, they are so good! Sorry, okay, I'm done. You guys are amazing by the way... It's too bad Chris and I hate to run because I would love to be one of those cook couples that enters 5k's and half marathons and stuff... but that ain't gonna happen! You're just too cool for us. ;p

Unknown said...

I sure I wet myself a little when I read this. I can only dream that I could have participated in this dreamy 5k because I would kill for that shirt!

mom mealy said...

Let me be the first to tell Dan congrats! He is a champion. And Lauren finished, that is awesome in my book! Good luck on figuring out how to cook the artichokes. I only know how to boil them and then dip them in melted butter. Not too healthy. Love the shirts.

Jaime said...

I didn't even know about an Artichoke run! Brenna and I run Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning between 6:45 and 7 if you want to join us. We're running like 3-4 miles right now. Let me know if you want to join us sometime!

Jennifer said...

Your ahead of me. My idea of running is parking in the farest parking space and keeping up with Aaron as we head into a store. Good job to the both of you.

Isn't it annoying when our husband do something that causes their heads to inflat. Even if we are proud it can still be annoying.

Aimee said...

Artichokes are awesome. YUM! Way to be, marrying a champion.

Danielle and Jesse said...

You crack me up. I too thought I would be ambitious and signed us up for a 5k. Ours isn't until June 12th but I can use all the training time I can get. I'm sure we won't be champions like Dan but oh well. Not everyone can be as cool as him. Or be as cool as his wife.... You guys are just lucky ducks. PS I love artichoke but have no idea how to cook it. Good luck!

Stacie said...

Do you remember when we all used to go jogging to the gym when we were freshmans? Running outside is totally different than on a treadmill. The hate artichokes. Good luck cooking them!

Stephanie said...

LOL ... I love reading your blogs they crack me up so bad I have small tears. Love it