I was pretty excited when Dan introduced the prospect of going to the Army Ball. I loved High School dances. The day date, dinner, the dance - the whole kit n' kaboodle was awesome.
I even enjoyed the prep work for dances, starting with an intense tanning regimen (Hey Branda & Jane if you're reading this! Remember Island Tans and their unlimited for a month specials? See ya in 10 years, maybe we can all car pool to the Skin Cancer Clinic?) Then there was the matter of hair and nails, and last, but not least - the finding of the most perfect dress. It was all so fun. Turns out it's a little tricker revisiting it later in life.
If you ever feel like you need a challenge, I say unto you :
Try to find a formal gown for 21 year old, that is modest, attractive, and doesn't cost the GDP of an African nation. I went on two different all day shopping escapades to every store in a 100 mile radius to no avail. I spent hours and hours online (which I kinda do anyway) perusing any possible dress seller with no success.
Try to find a formal gown for 21 year old, that is modest, attractive, and doesn't cost the GDP of an African nation. I went on two different all day shopping escapades to every store in a 100 mile radius to no avail. I spent hours and hours online (which I kinda do anyway) perusing any possible dress seller with no success.
I found many a non-garment kosher dress that I would die to have.
Including this little Miley Cyrus copy cat number:
Including this little Miley Cyrus copy cat number:
It had been the first time post-marriage I felt like modesty was keeping me down! I've come a long way since my high school tank tops and terry cloth "towel mini skirts". I love me a nice cardigan and wear not but full length pants now - even proudly rocking a one piece swimsuit. However, I just don't think there exists good looking "g" covering gowns. I love being modest - just not with formal wear.
I finally resigned myself to ordering one of those generic, overly bedazzled, Beautifully Modest dresses that I spent all of high school despising.
I was none too happy about spending $250 on a dress that I
A) didn't really love
B) resented and
C) would in all likelihood never wear again.
The universe solved that problem by informing me that there was no way it would get here in time, a rush cut was 10 weeks. I had 10 days.
I was none too happy about spending $250 on a dress that I
A) didn't really love
B) resented and
C) would in all likelihood never wear again.
The universe solved that problem by informing me that there was no way it would get here in time, a rush cut was 10 weeks. I had 10 days.
I had to resort to something else I despise: putting a cheap shawl over an othewise beautiful BCBG dress. Both were borrowed from my darling sisters, costing me no monies, so I tried not to feel too bad. End of Dress Saga.
Though I was a little put out Dan didn't ask me to the dance in the traditional SCHS way - with an elaborate theme, posterboard, and glitter all over my room - he made up for it by providing the ceremonial "day date."
(cooking up hashbrowns and looking super happy!)
Mark and Dan cooked up breakfast for Leana and I - thereby impressing us and increasing their chances of getting an end of date kiss.
(totally ended up soaked on their private island)
They then took us on a nice nature walk in our favorite park, Point Lobos.
The event itself deviated a bit from Prom. It started with a cocktail hour - kinda boring for those of us who don't drink cocktails.
Then we proceeded to the dinner hall - it was surprisingly nice ( I mean this is the Army, its not the Air Force or something....)
They had a series of mandatory toasts and drinks - but luckily there was Sparkling Cider for those under 21 - and the five Mormons in attendance haha.
There was a series of not so interesting to me speeches, and then finally the dance portion was at the end of the night - after all the head haunchos left and people could let loose! Now that part was actually similar to Junior Prom, bad line dances and all. But with perhaps a slightly higher average blood alcohol level. But then again maybe not...
In other news I am deeply saddened that last night was the season finale of my beloved Glee. We had a little party w/ Mark and Leana, and at the end I couldn't help but feel a great sense of loss. And I'm kind of really upset at the fact that Vocal Adrenaline's coach adopted Quinn's baby! Now I need to find something else to fill the singing, dancing, drama filled hole in my heart...
( i'm even excited to see this face)
The only thing that gives me comfort is knowing I'm flying to STG on Friday! I'll get to see family, friends, pets, home, Cafe Rio, and the sun! My white legs and those who have been blinded by them will be so thankful.
Finally, a little sunbeam gem to round out this post.
Sister Graff (my team teacher): "Ella, how can you show reverence during primary?"
Ella: "Well, ummm... Someday, I'm going to grow up to be big. And I will have a baby pop out of my body. And it will hurt really really bad!"
Not quite what we were going for. But awesome. Totally awesome.
Though I was a little put out Dan didn't ask me to the dance in the traditional SCHS way - with an elaborate theme, posterboard, and glitter all over my room - he made up for it by providing the ceremonial "day date."
(cooking up hashbrowns and looking super happy!)
Mark and Dan cooked up breakfast for Leana and I - thereby impressing us and increasing their chances of getting an end of date kiss.
(totally ended up soaked on their private island)
They then took us on a nice nature walk in our favorite park, Point Lobos.
The event itself deviated a bit from Prom. It started with a cocktail hour - kinda boring for those of us who don't drink cocktails.
Then we proceeded to the dinner hall - it was surprisingly nice ( I mean this is the Army, its not the Air Force or something....)
They had a series of mandatory toasts and drinks - but luckily there was Sparkling Cider for those under 21 - and the five Mormons in attendance haha.
There was a series of not so interesting to me speeches, and then finally the dance portion was at the end of the night - after all the head haunchos left and people could let loose! Now that part was actually similar to Junior Prom, bad line dances and all. But with perhaps a slightly higher average blood alcohol level. But then again maybe not...
In other news I am deeply saddened that last night was the season finale of my beloved Glee. We had a little party w/ Mark and Leana, and at the end I couldn't help but feel a great sense of loss. And I'm kind of really upset at the fact that Vocal Adrenaline's coach adopted Quinn's baby! Now I need to find something else to fill the singing, dancing, drama filled hole in my heart...
( i'm even excited to see this face)
The only thing that gives me comfort is knowing I'm flying to STG on Friday! I'll get to see family, friends, pets, home, Cafe Rio, and the sun! My white legs and those who have been blinded by them will be so thankful.
Finally, a little sunbeam gem to round out this post.
Sister Graff (my team teacher): "Ella, how can you show reverence during primary?"
Ella: "Well, ummm... Someday, I'm going to grow up to be big. And I will have a baby pop out of my body. And it will hurt really really bad!"
Not quite what we were going for. But awesome. Totally awesome.






5 comments:
Oh gees.. how I love little kids ha. So the days of our towel skirts were uh fun ha.. but I am too very very proud to be modest now! You looked very nice in your prom dress, and I'm sure the day date was a blast;) Yeah for St. George... I'm so excited to see you!!! When you lay out you should get a cream slushy, just for old time sake:)
Army ball could be worse, but the day date really made it so much better and totally worth all the preparations. Really hoped you'd post the picture of that otter family we saw on a hike:) Have fun in STG
looks like fun! dances were the best! I'm proud of you lauren trying so hard on the dress thing :) have fun in st. george it's the best place ever!
At least at the end of your date you could make-out all you wanted too. Tell your family hi.
Army ball looks amazing, it kind of reminds me of a real wedding. You looked way cute in that dress, I'm so glad you didn't wear the bedazzled hot mess! I can't believe you even pondered it! It looks like you had fun. By the way, I'm refusing to get skin cancer. But if that happens, at least I will have had golden bronze skin for ten years. Besides, my doctor told me its okay to tan every once in a while because of vitamin D. Take that albinos! It's kinda like the brain cancer or obesity predicament with diet coke. Take your pick my friend. ;)
Post a Comment