I started out my Utah adventure on Friday by flying in to LV at 10 pm - after working all day, rode the shuttle to STG, arriving at 1 am, and then woke up the next morning and drove straight to Salt Lake, then turned around and drove home early the next morning to make it to another friend's missionary homecoming. My good friend Mustafa (not his actual name, we were Arabic speaking partners for 3 years) was getting married and I wanted to make it to the reception. Why did I go to such lengths just to show up for a reception? Because showing up means so much. At least it did to me.
I loved my wedding (obviously). There are some things (like photography) I would do differently if I could have a do over - but thats a entirely different post. What I want to write about is how when I think of my wedding I realize that it was an event that revealed a lot about the people in my life.
It's an event of such significance, that only happens once, and is greatly influenced by those that you share it with.
When I was first arranging our wedding, I assummed we would need the "big" sealing room (that I'd also heard was the prettiest) in the St. George Temple. My parents both have 5 siblings, and I was sure we'd have a crowd! I've since been to friends' weddings where there was standing room only, the room was so packed with well wishing family. That's what I thought I'd have. It didn't quite work out like that... As we were getting numbers ready to give to the Caterer's for lunch, I was pretty shocked out how few people were coming to my special day.
When I think about looking around at my wedding and seeing all the faces of people I love supporting me and my new life, I also think about all the faces that weren't there. The hurt that I felt and the message that I percieved they were sending by not only not coming to my wedding, but fully boycotting it by not recognizing the most signifcant day of my life.
I've always been close to my mom's family. We get together every year and there was no doubt in my mind they would all be at my wedding. But - from my Mom's brothers, Uncles I had felt I was so close to my whole life - not even a card of congratulations or a "Good Luck!". It really hurt my feelings - and I know it felt like a personal slight to my Mom.
The inverse is also true though. Those family members such as my mom's two sisters, who went to great expense, time and travel to share that special moment with me and wish me well - meant so much to me. My sweet Aunt from my dad's side, who would later take me in to live in her home, was also there. I know they love me. They showed me they love me by being there when it mattered. I saw their smiling faces of happiness as I looked around the sealing room.
Friends also made my wedding something to remember. I loved seeing all my girlfriends there, dressed up, excited that "oh my gosh you're getting married!" and were willing to help in anyway possible. They really came through when it counted.
After my wedding I made a resolve, I will attend weddings and show my support and love. Maybe I'm crazy and overly sensitive - but I don't think so. I think my presence gives others the same feeling it gave to me - of love, of approval, of support, of excitement, and congratulations. That I care enough to take the time to dress up and show up. And that's why I went to Mufasa's Wedding.

4 comments:
I'm glad we got to be a part of your wedding! It was a wonderful day even if some people couldn't make it. We love you guys!
I'm with you. I try to make it to most all receptions. I would have been at yours but I had my sisters wedding reception the same time in WA I think she would have been more upset...anyway your mom was the only "Benson" that was in the sealing room when I got hitched. I love her for that. (Although in grandma and grandpas defense no one really knew when my day would ever happen and they didn't want to drive in the weather.
I agree! I totally remember all the people that didn't come to my reception even though the whole day was a general blur.
I'm so sorry I didn't get to make it, if it makes it better I didn't even get to make it to my sisters wedding. I really do love you though!
Post a Comment