Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October has begun, Oh let us Rejoice

1) Dan (finally!) starts French
After a quick 9 month wait (sufficient time to have a baby or something equally horrendous) Dan finally starts his French Class this week. Hallelujah.
(my first baking endeavor in over a month : bundt cake for cafe rio night at maloys)
2) The End Of Sweet Free September
So, Dan and I set a goal to not eat sweets (candies, cookies, cakes, soda, syrup, banana bread!, etc) for the month of September. Dan made it 14 days, till the Oreos in Yosemite incident. I held strong, save for one cheat: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. I was assigned to make it for a RS Activity, and fully intended on holding strong and baking but not tasting... But it pulled me in like a baked good siren to a calorie filled sea. I'd never tasted it before, and I'd heard nothing but wondrous things about it from my family and my cousin Annie (its my Aunt Amy's recipe.) It was so worth it. Every. last. bite.
But I do feel a bit like a goal flunky. But then again, it was SOOOO worth it. 

3) The Beginning of "We Have a Budget October!"
The RS activity for which I made that devil bread was one on "Goal Setting". It was hard to choose a goal for the activity, being that I'm perfect and all... But I decided on setting a budget. It's not that we're bad with money - but I know we could be squirreling away a lot more into savings instead of into Red Robin... Which will come in handy come April, when we are paying money to go to school - instead of having Army paying us! Part of the goal setting criterea of the activity was to make your goal known to others - so someone holds you accountable. Now you know. Wish us, and our Dave Ramsey-esque envelopes good luck.

4) General Conference
I know I sound like a true Cougar (which I must completely renounce after that catastrophic loss to none other than Utah State), but I love General Conference. The word "prophet" is synonymous with "Gordon B. Hinkley" in my mind, as he was the only one I ever remember. I have nothing against President Monson, it's just that I really loved the cute, sweet, funny, President Hinkley. This conference was a bit of a turning point for me personally: I really saw another side of President Monson, and warmed up to him immensely. He gave an awesome talk during the RS Session on not judging others - and being charitable towards their actions. And best of all, he showed so much personality in all the sessions! There were a few talks that spoke strongly to me, namely Elder Eyering's on Sunday Afternoon on trusting in God, and his messengers. I came back to my notes on this talk after hearing President Packer's talk... The Church and Homosexuality is an issue I have trouble reconciling - so Elder Eyering's talk serves as a good reminder to me on trusting the General Authorities, even if my intellect would disagree. 

5) The Eminence of the Best Holiday of All
Yes, I bought Halloween lights. Yes, it came out of my newly alloted allowance. Yes, it was totally worth every penny. 

It is October. 
6 months till we become Utahans again. 
I am full on rejoicing. 

6 comments:

Лена said...

Budgeting is a noble goal. We started it when we first got married and ended it when we lost income:) Luckily we're back on track with the income, so I guess, I should open back up the long forgotten file on my computer. Budgeting is a real eye-opener, but it's also fun if you think of it as a game "how much more can I save this month without stopping enjoying beloved activities like eating out"

Talk on Homosexuality and values brought quite a controversy to Utah community of people for equal rights. They were not happy with that talk saying it promotes bullying and harassment of gay people (or something like that)

I'm excited for you guys to become Utahans again! Salt Lake is way closer to Bountiful than Monterey:)

tifsong said...

dear lo,

i think you're amazing.

i also think that Eyring may have spoken to us so deeply about trusting his messengers because he knew that a talk like Packer's would be brought to our ears. I am grateful for our prophets and advisors and I know that everything is said with a purpose, no matter how rotten it may seem.

-Tif

Aimee said...

wait your becoming a utahn again? Halloween is by far the best holiday ever. I have so many decorations

The Burr's said...

Seriously I agree conference was amazing!! Way to budget!!! We started that, but being gone so much kind of gets hard to keep track. I can't believe you went a month minus one time with out sweets! you have some dang good self control... I cant even go a week!! yeah for utah:) it will be fun to have you back!

Jane said...

Yay I'm so excited that it's October too because it's finally not hot anymore! I'm intrigued with this infatuation with Halloween. The holiday doesn't really do much for me but so many people love it... And I'm impressed by your baking skills. I finally mastered brownies from a box, but with one of those fancy pre-cut pans. And basically one of my favorite quotes (made up by me) is "Damn Dave Ramsey!" I love him but hate him too. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

I can't get Daniel to do the envelopes with me he always cheats. Good luck.