Thursday, January 20, 2011

Redemption

{from our sunday sunset walk at the sand dunes. new tradition.}

So my little chat with a BYU advisor didn't go quite how I envisioned (i.e. "Lauren, I know what you should do with your life, it is easy and fun, and you'll graduate in no time!") Instead I left more confused than before... Changing my major is out of the question, BYU forbids major changes after you hit a certain amount of credits- which I have. Fact: I will now be graduating in Middle Eastern Studies Arabic. Fact: The only Graduate program in Utah which results in you becoming a Registered Dietician is at the UofU. They have loads of applicants, 13 get in. Fact: I am screwed. Haha. Shortly after that depressing phone call, on such a lovely note, we left to the temple.

Turns out quite a few people from our ward wanted to go the temple, so we ended up going in a big group. "Those creepy Mormons are traveling in packs again!" type large group. Without getting too descriptive, lets just say if something could go wrong at the Temple for me, it did.... Wardrobe issues, forgetting things issues, tripping issues... I was in tears by the end, and not ones of joy. However, a really sweet temple worker came and spoke to me in the celestial room, she witnessed all my struggles. She said some really nice things to me and made me promise to come back. I will.

Though spiritual edification is a benefit, Dan's real motivation in a temple trip: Red Robin. Sadly our GPS led us to one in the Ghetto of San Jose with over an hour wait. After crazy traffic, and a long day, none of us wanted to wait. I think I saw a glistening tear roll down Dan's cheek as we settled for In-N-Out. So now we have to go back ASAP-  so Dan and I can both redeem ourselves, one with burgers, and the other with temple ordinances.

P.S. Thank you everyone for your comments on my last post! I loved all the input from everyone.That's part of why I love blogging, I think it can be a really helpful way of getting advice! (Though I need more help than I think anyone can offer...)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sorry it took me so long to catch up on your post as you can tell I've been busy. I do know that you seem to have it more together then I did at your age (that sounds so old) and you still have it more together than I do. I know whatever is suppose to work out will. Somehow the Lord always gets it right even if we don't understand.
As far as the temple goes we've all had those moments so don't worry.

Haylee Caplin said...

I'm sorry, school credits are frustrating. USU has a great dietetics program and you can get your masters and i think they let more people in. I was looking into that when I was up there. Hope you get back to Utah soon :)

Jane said...

I don't think you need too much help! You're way more on top of things than you give yourself credit for. P.S. you're not the only one who feels incompetent at the temple sometimes, no worries. At least you can graduate quickly with your bachelor's! That's such an accomplishment; who cares if it's in.. what was it again? It sounds intelligent nonetheless. You don't need a job. It's way funner to not have one I decided.

Лена said...

Sorry it turned out so. At least now you know where to go to Red Robin:) Hope you next trip to the temple will be much better. And I'm sure the school thing will turn out alright.

Aimee said...

Sorry for the rough week and I am more sorry I have no words of encouragement other than what has already been said that the Lord will get it right. I love your face by the way