Monday, March 7, 2011

Me and Money

I'm an accidental money saver.
 It's not that I have great moral restraint and like my money safely tucked away in a bond - rather its simply that I want to spend my money on too many things.
I am paralyzed by indecision on which of my many wanted items to buy and thus my money remains in my wallet. For the past year, I've kept an ongoing list of things that I want to save and spend my allowance on.
I have yet to pull the trigger and buy any of these things:

1) Rayban New Wayfarer. In Brown/Brown. Polarized.
2) Lululemon Gym Bag. To carry my beloved spin shoes. 

3) Michael Kors Gold Watch
4) The Cadillac of Fleeces: North Face Denali, in black, of course
5) A Large Cuisinart Food Processor

Until last week! I did it. After going to Costco  THREE TIMES in two days, I finally got the courage to keep my food processor in the cart. Why did I decide to splurge all my long hoarded savings on what basically amounts to a giant blender? One word: NUT-BUTTER.
I read an unhealthy amount of "Healthy Living Blogs". It has become very vogue on said blogs to concoct recipes for gourmet homemade nut butters. As a die hard lover of Almond Butter that is more expensive than liquid gold, I could not let this trend past me by. I NEED to make my own almond butter.  I have made two batches already. I plan to make my own homemade Lara bars with it later today. I also have plans for pesto, hummus, grinding scottish oats.... The possibilities are LIMITLESS!!!!!!
Verdict on my 11 Cup Cuisinart: It is obscenely huge. It is hard to clean. It pretty much takes up my entire counter. It is ridiculous.
And I couldn't love it more.
{see how healthy & happy I am w/ coke? pic from honeymoon in cabo}
In non-food processor related news: Dan and I have both been sick, which basically amounts to both of us laying on the couch, coughing up our lungs, eating naughty non-atkins foods, and watching disturbing Swedish movies (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series). As a holistic person, I shun medicine. I'm fairly certain that reintroducing diet coke and crazy amounts of my new nut butters back into my diet will heal me. Forget Nyquil, a Donut will put into a cough-less sleep. I just know it. 

8 comments:

Лена said...

Sorry, you guys have been sick. Hope, you get better soon. I've been looking at that food processor in Costco as well, but Mark said we had to research it first...:) I hope I get to try soon your home made almond butter, hummus etc.:)

The Burr's said...

Oh how I want some of your homemade nut-butter.. I have never had almond butter, and here you are making it from scratch. I'm very envious! Sorry you two have been sick. I'm with you on the no medicine thing. I'd throw up if I tried to take any nasty liquid medicine anyways.. that stuff is terrible! Donuts and almond butter are sure to cure it:) oh how excited I am for you to move to utah!

Jaime said...

Your posts are always so fun to read. I hope you guys feel better soon. Their are some nasty things going around here...

Rick and Sue said...

Oh Lauren! you entertain me every time I read your blog! So clever!

I am proud you finally made a decision on the food processor, I know you will get your moneys worth in all the fun things you will make with it. Now it makes sense why you were looking for those beans(I can't remember what kind it was)... also I saw the link to your Dad's medical rants and I read his last post about the local "pioneers" and you are just like your Dad. I could have sworn you had written his post, it was hilarious and totally relatable just like your blog!

Aimee said...

Before I even saw what you decided on I took one look at the last picture and thought "ooh that one" I am so happy you are enjoying it. Does your almond butter have a reecees piece in it? I too steer clear of the drugs hardest thing I have ever taken is 200mg ibuprofen. (Oh and if you look at our kasch blog there are updates on Avalon)

Aimee said...

Sorry Lauren. You saw the old one. There is a newer update of Avalon

Jennifer said...

Look at all the great things you have done since I last read your blog. I'm glad I was able to catch up.

I save on purpose the problem is my husband spends it. I'm glad you spent it on yourself.

Unknown said...

i would just like to say that we made our first nut butter together just saying:)