Way, way back when I used to be a "runner"(like last November), our friends put together a Mud Run team. I kind of forgot about it. And I I kind of stopped running (except for that brief moment a month or so ago when I though we were going to do a 10k). And then all the sudden it was here. And we were on a team. And though I was about as prepared as FEMA for Hurricane Katrina, it all worked out.
We gathered Friday Night for a pre-race shirt marking/ wholly unecessary, but delicious, Carbo loading team night. You need to eat a lot of brownies to fuel for 5 miles, trust me.
I wasn't expecting much for our team shirts, being that we threw them together last minute and all, but turns out Rick is an artist. And he owns a airbrusher. All things previously unknown.
"The Dragon Army" (note: the boys were in charge of names/designs) all ended up with lovely dragon encrusted shirts. It took till midnight. Poor Rick exacto knifed and sprayed them, while the rest of us "helped." The later it got, the funnier everyones jokes got... Let's just say good times were had by all of THE DRAGON ARMY.
Team Line Up:
The Silver Bullet (Rick), Monster (Pete), Bjorn Jorn (Bonni), Jolly Green Giant (Dan), and Lo ( I lack creativity).
The Silver Bullet (Rick), Monster (Pete), Bjorn Jorn (Bonni), Jolly Green Giant (Dan), and Lo ( I lack creativity).
All of these pictures made possible by our lovely 6th teammate/photographer/support crew:
Sue "BABY ON BOARD" Maloy!
Saturday morning we gathered to more of Monterey's KA weather: cloudy, cold, rain. Awesome.
We were entertained, as we waited in the rain for the race to start, by the creativity of other teams and their costumes... I have great admiration for the Village people team that ran the entire thing in jean and leather cut offs. Sweet.
The Dragon Army then proceeded to run over 5 miles (I swear it was uphill the whole time) with mud pits, climbing walls, and pushups interspersed. Let's just say I was a bit of a Dragon liablity (being that I can't run, climb walls, or do push ups).... However we were able to make up time as all other teams stopped at the BEER STATION, and the sole Mormons pressed on...
We kept a good pace and I was pretty darn proud as we linked arms
and crossed the finish in true cheesy fashion.
and crossed the finish in true cheesy fashion.
THE BIG SUR MUD RUN 2011 was actually a legit race (organized by the same people that do the half and full big sur marathon). There were t-shirts, space blankets, medals, and BABY BANANA refreshments. Though we really could've used some sun/heat/non-monterey blows weather, it was really fun. Nothing brings friends together like running 5 miles. With obstacles. And Mud. Oh, and add rain for good measure.
I would totally do it again next year.*
I would totally do it again next year.*
*Note: If we are still living in Monterey this time next year to run this race again, I. will. kill. myself.
7 comments:
Looks like a fun run! You're so awesome! I need a utah running buddy so yeah hopefully you're out here soon!
It looks like you had a lot of fun. Daniel did the same race when we were living there and loved it!
All except for the fact that one of his teammates hurt herself the day before and since they had to cross at a team they took turns carrying her through the race. Needless to say they came in dead last.
so much fun. utah is doing a mud run on june 4. its called the dirty dash you should check it out. i need to figure this running thing out. im a really bad runner. but looks like you had so much fun.
Wow! hard core lo, I am so proud! I find it interesting that they had beer stops on a mud run.. wouldn't it be hard enough with out being smashed? It was probably entertaining at least ha.
What a fun race. I wish we would have know about it when we lived there, too! Oh, well. I love your wall decor!!! Super cute!
Do Monster and Jolly Green have something going on? They were totally holding hands as you all crossed the finish line. I'm just saying....
oh and I hope you don't have to kill yourself
hahahaha sounds like my worst nightmare! you better not still be living there. You have to come meet baby brooke!
Post a Comment