Sunday, July 31, 2011

#7: A Half Marathon


About a month ago, Anna and I signed up for a random half marathon we knew nothing about:
 The Mount Timpanogos Half. This weekend the fateful day arrived.
{ bffs at crown burger }
Any smart runner knows the importance of proper fueling before a race. That is of course why the day before the race I ate lunch at Crown Burger, a place that has historically made me violently ill every time I've eaten there.  It wasn't my first choice, but it was the last chance to see Aaron before he heads off to Med school. Nothing like saying goodbye over a pastrami burger. 
{ getting cookies at ruby snaps }
Dan took me down to Provo so I could stay in a hotel overnight with my Mom and sisters. We had to be bused up the canyon at 4 am, so I was glad not to have to drive down from SLC. Shout out to my Mom and Katheryn for being our support crew/ photographers.
Despite the ridiculously early start time, the Timp Half Rocked my running world. Nice cool weather, beautiful canyon scenery, lots of downhill and a high school wrestling team handing out otter pops at mile 11. 
Not to mention they had sweet gender specific tech shirts and blinging medals. I beat my last 1/2 marathon time, mostly thanks to the motivation provided by my new iPod (my old one gave up the ghost the night before the race. dan ran out and bought me a new one. points to husband.) Nothing like emo music from high school to increase your speed. I had enough remembered angst from junior year to power me passed the 1:55 pacer, thank you senses fail. 
Anna beat me by five minutes. I attribute it to the fact that her legs are six years younger, six inches longer, and are moving 20 less pounds. But it's probably just cause she's a better runner. 
Verdict: Timp Half is awesome. I plan to be there next year. With even more screamo tunes. 

8 comments:

Лена said...

Yay Congratulations. That sounds way better than Logan Half Marathon I did a couple of years ago. May be I could run this one next year too. Congrats on such a great time!!!!

Jaime said...

Sounds like fun! I need to find a half marathon to do. And someone to do it with. And time to actually do it. One of these days.

The Burr's said...

You sure kicked butt for not training, and fueling up so well the day before:)!!! Although Im not sure id attribute it to the crazy punk;) Good freaking job! You two are outstanding runners! Glad it was such a good race... Love the shirts!!

Jennifer said...

That's awesome you never cease to amazing. I'm glad you are accomplishing all your summer goals.

tifsong said...

you are so fantastic! i pat myself on the back when i make it to the gym in the morning.

i don't know if i'd ever survive running.. anything.

Haylee Caplin said...

Congrats Lauren! Thats an awesome time! Sounds like I need to look into that race :)

Aimee said...

woot woot

Jane said...

Did you die? I'm having withdrawls from your blog. Update. Now. (I know I'm the one to talk.. but I'm doing better. And I'm pretty sure no one reads mine except you.)