Monday, May 28, 2012

An Accidently Awesome Memorial Day

As of Sunday night, we had no plans for Memorial Day. Then, while perusing my favorite running blogs, as I am wont to do, I came across the "Run For Remembrance" 5k/10k in American Fork.
 I saw the words "Free 10k" (race fees add up fast, yo!) and Dan saw the words "Flag Shirt" and we were in!
(no, we didn't run the dino half. it was a free race - they recycled bibs)
Dan had an awesome 5k and finished in under 23 minutes! Me and the 10k struggled a bit, a mixture of a lot of up hill and a bothersome right hamstring (excuses, excuses) had me finishing slower than I hoped. But it was beautiful day and a pretty course that went right through a flag filled cemetery - win, win, wing.
[me, my short shorts, and Grandma and Grandpa Ash's headstone]
We had no plans after the race, but since we were already in the 7th circle of hell (Utah Valley), I thought it would be a grand idea to go visit the headstones of my great grandparents in the Springville Cemetery. In our running short shorts (we brought nothing to change in to, consistent lack of planning). We stopped off at Wal-Mart and purchased some white trashtastic plastic flowers. Had I planned at all, I would have brought some of the beautiful yellow roses from our yard instead... 
 After a phone call to my Dad, Mom, and Grandpa Howdy we found the right cemetery and graves.  
I was sad that I couldn't see my Granny Harward's grave (turns out its in Ritchfield, oops), but we found my Great Grandma Ash's as well as my Great Grandma Hales'. There was also a military program going on with lots of flags and gunfire! It was nice to take a moment to observe the real meaning behind memorial day, and I really do enjoy cemeteries (that would be the Grandma Peggy in me coming out, the Parowan cemetery is probably her #1 favorite spot to hang out, ever.)

Then I came across this on Pinterest: 
A cheddar filled, bacon wrapped, hot dog covered in J Dawg sauce (J Dawg's = a hot dog stand near BYU that has a cult following.)
 I knew this monstrosity must be mine. Luckily, Dan's family was game for a BBQ and my dreams came true! After eating 4.5 million calories, tomfoolery ensued:
So basically Memorial Day was awesome.
And sometimes, having no plan is actually the best plan.

4 comments:

Haylee Caplin said...

Sweet, sounds like an awesome day! We also didn't have plans and it is always nice to relax!

Jane said...

That's nice!

chickster said...

WOW those dogs look good!!! I'm guessing the Crossfit diet/lifestyle is definitely gone.

Stacie said...

Wow- that hot dog looks amazing! And J Dogs is awesome! I used to eat there all the time.