Tuesday, May 15, 2012

catch up

Today I got a text from my friend Jane asking if I was still alive. 
The state of blog would indicate that I have, in fact, died sometime over the last two months. 
So, in order to assure friends and family that I am indeed around, here's a  catch up of things (at least those I have pictures for) that have happened during my hiatus:






Graduation
At long last, the day I've dreamed of for so long finally arrived: graduation. I never, ever, have to set foot on BYU property again!!! Okay, I don't hate my alma mater that much. But I still have mixed feelings about my whole BYU experience... But graduation was great. My family, including my Hales Grandparents came to support as well as Dan's parents. After commencement we all went to Macaroni Grill and toasted my "achievements". Poor Anna came but could barely keep her eyes open during dinner - she was seriously sick with mono. Early Friday morning was my convocation, which was quite enjoyable. Great speaker, spicy latin dancing, and it was short! The only scary part was when I went up to claim my empty degree holder, and the director of my program, Donna Lee Bowen aka THE DLB, gave me a hug! It was so awkward and scary  to embraced by a woman I'd spent the last 6 years fearing...

Zions/babysitting
Two weeks ago my parents went to Navuoo for a cousin's wedding. Being that Anna was still on the verge of death from mono, I volunteered Dan and I to come down and "babysit". Being the super responsible babysitter I am, I figured that hiking in Zion would heal Anna -  so off the three of us went (Katheryn and Kiersten were still in school). Nothing like making the summit of Angel's Landing to help you overcome an auto immune disease. I think it worked, because we had such a good time that we ending up going back to Zions on Saturday with Kiersten and Katheryn.  My parents had a grand time in the midwest (my dad now wants to serve a mission there so he can be the town re-enactment blacksmith!), I had an awesome time in my beloved STG, and my sisters are all still alive. Win, win, win. 
Color Me Rad 5k
No, we did not participate in this debauchery. But my little sister did, and it was her first ever race, so we went to cheer her on. Kat did awesome, both at running and getting herself completely covered in some (hopefully) non-toxic colorful substance. Our friends Bonni & Pete and Rick & Sue also participated - and incidentally also looked liked they'd been involved in a horrible unicorn accident. Bonni and Pete moved in just a few blocks from us, which is awesome because now I can show up unannounced and demand Bonni make cookies with me. 

Return of the McNultys
Dan and I are pretty excited because Dan's sister Tori and her family just moved back to Utah! Not the best picture ever, but its the only one I snapped the other day when we were at Cafe Rio. Expect to see much more of our niece and nephew - we can't seem to get enough of them.

Jill is going on a Mission!
So again, not by best picture taking skills - but this is the only shot I got that wasn't totally blurry (I'm really good with my giant camera, obviously.) Dan's youngest sister Jill opened her mission call and we were lucky enough to be able to go and see the big reveal live. She's headed to Denver, Colorado in July. Go Jill!


ultra marathon
( anna took this sweet video with her iphone)
{note that I am wearing dark pants. note that it is very hot outside}
A couple of months ago I learned of ultra marathons and was instantly intrigued. People who run 100 miles for fun? How twisted. I wanted to know more. I found out that there was a Ultra in Zions and that they were looking for pacers - people to run part of the race with a ultra runner and make sure they stay coherent. After learning more about pacing (our Crossfit coach is ultra marathoner) I totally chickened out. But I still wanted to be involved, so I volunteered Anna and I to work at an aid station. Well, they assigned us the 10pm-5am shift. Sweet. We had the privilege of staying up all night, handing out tums and vegetable broth at mile post 90. Yes, by the time the runners arrived to us, they'd already run 90 miles! Many of them were super out of it, some cried, and some looked like they were on the verge of death. Our shift was supposed to end at 5am, but no one ever came and got us. We had the HAM radio man nearby call for a shuttle pick up twice - but by 8 am, we'd had enough. Anna took of running and I followed her. We ended up running 10 miles to get back to our car in Virgin (we ran through Hurricane and La Verkin and then along Highway 9 toward Zion), after having no sleep/food and wearing improper clothing. But on the upside, now we can say we've run part of an Ultra marathon. Overall it was an interesting experience; ultra-marathoners are a different breed. Largely, they're super friendly and super cool - but still ultra crazy.

Now I can sleep peacefully knowing that such wonderful memories have been preserved. As I often say, 
"If its not on the blog, it didn't happen."

6 comments:

Jane said...

Looks like you've had some interesting things going on lately! And graduating? Major check off the life goal list no? Congratulations!! I got my skirt at downeast. I think they had more colors too. Thanks for making me feel fashionable.

Aimee said...

Mazel tov on the graduation. I am very jealous. I wanted to do color me rad but was too late. Next year for sure. Your dad would be a rad nauvoo blackmitj

tifsong said...

i love your hair color. and i think you're awesome.

Jennifer said...

You are beautiful and amazing and congrats on graduation. Your hair looks pretty!

Лена said...

This is awesome! I love that you had so much fun while all of kept checking back on your blog to see you came back yet ha. Congratulations on graduating and accomplishing so much in so many ways including but not limited to running 10mi of the Ultra Marathon.

Bonni and Pete said...

i beg to differ about the cookies, i think you are more of the baker than i. also, i love having you guys so close. please don't move, ok i take that back move into our ward.