I've now lived in Northern Utah for over four years. I was pretty sure I knew what cold was. And then I moved to Logan. Walking to the mailbox results in all the snot in your nose freezing, your ears feeling like they're going to snap off, and the inability to use your hands in any meaningful way. And that's a 3 minute jaunt. This has made any prospect of going outside most displeasurable. But after about a month of 0 outdoor activity, I was feeling pretty sick of it. So when Anna proposed we go snowshoeing, I jumped on board. We rented our shoes and headed out in the -7 degree weather. Except we forgot to factor in that if it was -7 at home, it would be at least 10 degrees cooler in the canyon.
We didn't make it very far. Otto was the only one not wishing for warm swift death.
But we couldn't let our good snowshoe rental money go to waste. So the next day with better clothing, slightly warmer temps, and renewed zeal, we struck out again. Dan even rented a pair of snowshoes and joined in the "fun". It was a rather intense couple of hours, but we made it all the way to the wind caves! Above 30 minutes in, my feet started to hurt. Bad. It was reminiscent of the hell that was skiing as a child. But I resolved I was no longer a ski school flunkie, I wouldn't retreat to the lodge, I would persevere! When we got home and I took of my boots I realized I couldn't feel my feet at all. When I took off my socks my feet were completely blanched white. Slowly, they began to hurt. So. Bad. Granted I have a non existent pain tolerance level, but I started to bawl. It. was. Awful. I know I'm super melodramatic, but I truly believe in my heart of hearts, I had/have the beginning stages of frostbite, also known as "frost nip".
So basically for the next couple months Logan presents me with two options:
"Cabin Fever or Frost Nip? Take your pick!"
8 comments:
Oh that sounds painful! I choose cabin fever, especially because we're avoiding public in general hoping to avoid the plague going around. It sucks though! I never truly disliked winter this much until now. It's way too cold and gloomy, and I'm not even in Logan! I hope you survive.
I almost had one of those when I was little. My dad did had some vodka around and rub my feet with it, so I was fine:) I'l glad you're ok now.
It sounds a lot like my mission. So cold that if you blink slow enough your eye lids freeze shut. I had "Frost Nip" and it does hurt and I don't think I'm dramatic at all.
At least your so adventurous!
Snowshoeing looks like so much fun! The frost bite...not so much. Way to preserver and make it to the caves though, you're awesome. You should come to LA and warm your toes in the sand, temps have been in the high 70's, low 80's!
I got the "frost nips" on my fingers and toes the year Dan and I ventured down to SLC in the winter to see Dave Matthews at one of the Olympic Ceremonies. I hope you fair better than me...I still have problems freezing super fast on my fingers and toes. I guess you'll just have to move to San Diego by us!!!!
I see thats 2 offers for the west coast...you can't turn down 2!!! That would just be rude : ) (We love and miss you guys!)
I just don't want to go out because I don't want my lungs to shrivel and die in this nasty inversion air. That and I'm pretty lame when it comes to winter activities, but we'll blame it mostly on the air quality
You guys are very hard core!!!! That picture is beautiful! Way to embrace the outdoors in ice cold weather!
Post a Comment