Saturday, January 30, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On, or have a cupcake!

My posts of late have somewhat of a downer. We still wait with bated breath to hear what the next year holds for us. But fear not. I just had a wonderful no-work week. And despite that this week was filled with fog and rain that usually smothers my serotonin levels, I have nothing but happy things to share.
I’ve wanted to go to the exercise classes at the base gym for a long time, but I’m a big fat chicken – with good reason. A person with no coordination, rhythm and athletic ability should not showcase said problems in a class setting. But I finally decided to pretend like a normal human and go with two friends from my ward.

First up: Spinning. I was worried about this one – I can’t ride a bike. The last time I tried to ride a bike was a year ago. Kat hopped on one and I foolishly decided to follow. I wobbled about a block from our house and tipped over into a Yucca plant. With a bloodied ear I vowed to never again ride an effing bike. Luckily the spinning bikes are stationary and downright impossible to tip over into succulent plants. I was still pretty spazey – the only one in the class to get personalized pointers as I moved my hips all crazy. Class kicked my butt! It added insult to injury that the instructor is a darling 6 month pregnant lady – she’s hard core and quite possibly my new hero.

It is funny that I wasted so much energy worrying about looking stupid at spin when what I should have really feared is ZUMBA. I am way too white and uncoordinated to hip swivel and shimmy it up. That being said, it was a really fun, and a really good workout.

I spend way way too much time reading blogs . So on my no work week I decided to try to get in some reading of actual books. I first read “The Hunger Games.” It’s a good Young Adult (you know, Twilight type) read – big font, quick pace, 200 pages.

Then I decided to read the polar opposite, “Atlas Shrugged.” Atlas Shrugged is one of the books that I’ve always wanted to be able to say I’ve read, but couldn’t quite bring myself to do it. Tiny font, tons of font, and 1,000 pages. Still reading it. But its going to be so worth it when during philosophical debates on the ethics of Capitalism I can chime in, “Well ya know, Ayn Rand raises a lot of good points in that…” This is so going to happen. Often.


To cap off the week I had GIRLS NIGHT. Which gave me an excuse to trash our kitchen and make fancy cupcakes. My first batch was a complete failure due to my inability to read a recipe. I blame it on the fact Pandora kept making me listen to Owl City. Owl city makes me want to kill myself … Anyway, in the end success was mine! The night itself was really fun. All the girls brought yummy treats and stayed up talking till 2 am. It was so refreshing to get in some serious girl talk. (I miss certain elements of living w/ sisters and non-crazy college roommates). Dan had the polar opposite: BOYS NIGHT at another house. No delicious handmade goodies, absolutely no talking, and 7 hours of video gaming.

Now that I am Dan’s full time hairstylist with Mad skills I decided to step it up a notch. You know how girls sometimes bring in a picture of a celebrity they want their haircut like? Well Dan did that. Except with a video game character:

In order to give him a Soap Mctavish from Modern Warfare 2 haircut, I had to deviate from the instruction booklet that came with shaver! But owing to my aforementioned mad skills (not), Dan is now sporting a new do.


5 comments:

Jane said...

That's hilarious. Did I ever tell you that my so called dad brought in a picture of george clooney and said he wanted to "look like that" to his barbar? And totes, girls night is so necessary. And congrats on zumba. I tried that once, didn't go so well.

Jennifer said...

Girls nights are a must and cupcakes just make it that much better.
My friend wants me to go to zumba but like most white girls I am afraid.

The Burr's said...

K now im going to have to make cupcakes... those look Amazing! You are getting dang good at cutting Dan's hair.. I think you found a hidden talent, possibly a career! Anyways glad Zumba went well;)

Rebecca Luke said...

ummmmm...by the way... I want the banana cupcake recipe!!!! Those were so delicious! Aubin and I had one for breakfast the next day. Not the healthiest, but dang good! And no, white girls can't shake their hips, but we can laugh while we try!!!!

Aimee said...

You make me laugh. Jenni has the same problem with bikes. Just ask her. I'm too terrified of Zumba. I HATE that owl city, they sing that stupid can't sleep butterfly song right? Anyway, there was more I wanted to say but alas my short term memory has gotten the better of me.