Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Mother's Day Shout Out


(She's so cool, and pretty good at shooting!)
My mother, Lesley Lyn Hales Benson is simply the best. My mom makes everything special: amazing themed birthday parties, wondrous holiday traditions, exciting family vacations. She's smart, setting an example of education as she earned her degree in Physical Therapy. And then setting an even greater example in her choice to stay home and raise me and my sisters. She tolerated the spirited child that was Lauren which is a feat in and of itself. She listened patiently as I reported every detail that happened in my intense kindergarten life. Even as a child she treated me like I was a person on her same level. I loved feeling like I was my mom's friend, that we could talk about subjects we both found relevant. Today she is still one of my best friends. No one and nothing has had greater bearing on the person I am today and the happiness I enjoy, than my Mother. 


A year and half ago I gained a mother in law! And luckily, I got a good one. Denise is so kind and thoughtful. When Dan was at basic she would drive all the way to Provo, just to take me to lunch at Cafe Rio. When Dan and I moved out, she was on the scene helping pack and clean and carry. She is so talented! Denise is the world's best seamstress. She sewed ALL of my bridesmaid dresses, and interestingly still talked to me afterward. She is thoughtful. I mentioned I was having trouble finding SAF yeast and she sent some out the very next day. She's so easy going and I always feel welcomed and relaxed at her house.




Through marriage I also got to have Dan's wonderful Nana as part of my family. Ann lived for most of her life in LA, so she's instantly cool in my book. Dan has all kinds of cute memories of visiting her in California. She taught him how to boogey board in the ocean when he was little- what a cool Grandma! And she's super sweet, sending us a card and a gift for every holiday!

I'm lucky to have my own two Grandmas as well. Grandma Peggy, my love of carbs grew exponentially when she taught me how to make homemade bread! I have many a fond memory of sitting on her bar stools and having a slice of her bread, toasted in a toaster oven, and slathered in butter. Nothing is more delicious. I think of grace and refinement when I think of her - she always has her hair done, make up on, and well dressed. I also think of walks to the cemetery :)
G'ma Hales - Oh what a fun Grandma. The yearly summer cabin trip holds many special memories of time spent with G'ma.   She has such a sense of humor, breaking out all her dance moves at the annual "deck dance".  She's a good sport, allowing 10 year olds to do her make up and paint her nails. Her health has not been good for many years, but she never complains, and never stops serving others. She continues to cook up amazing food and is constantly showing her love for our family





With all these amazing Mothers in my life, I just don't think I should ever have kids. Too much to live up to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all those great mentors to help you- you owe it to your future kids to have them (in the long future). It is wonderful having Lauren as my 'favorite daughter-in-law". Just because you are the 'only' doesn't make you any less great! Dan is awesome to have as a son, always thinking outside the box keeps life exciting. Love to both of you, Denise

Jennifer said...

What a great post. How do you get Grandma's bread right I mess it up everytime.

I love that picture of your mom.

Haylee Caplin said...

This is an awesome post! You are a lucky girl as am I! What would we do without them?

Haylee Caplin said...

This is a great post! You are a lucky girl as am I with my mothers and grandmothers. What would we do without them!

Лена said...

Wow! What an awesome post! What an awesome women! You might feel like that there is a lot of live up to, but it also means that you have all these amazing examples to follow. With your sewing projects, cooking skills, and theme-decorating abilities that you already have you are on the path to become a super-mom!!!!!

Aimee said...

I know only two of the four you mentioned but trust you. AMEN to your post

Jaime said...

I love the picture of your mom with the gun! So funny. Mom's (and grama's and aunts and ...) are so great to have (and be).