Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Pizza Stone! And other (not so) exciting things.

I know I recently vowed to "never sew again" following the Alice in Wonderland dress debacle. But its a known fact that I'm full of empty threats. I've threatened to kill myself 4.5 million times, yet there is not a hesitation mark to be found on my wrists...  Back to the sewing. I've got to hold some babies lately. My favorite kind of babies too: darling tiny baby girls with cute names. Which DOES NOT make me want to have one. But instead lead me to want to SEW for them... Check it out:

I know on the difficulty scale bibs are pretty low. But I'm working my way up. You know, starting with easy projects instead of lined dresses with gathered sleeves and fitted bodices...  Dan was inspired by my craftiness and began work on his own sewing project: a ghillie suit. His seams are still straighter than mine.



Also, we got a new car!

We wish, this is just our new rental. After a recent trip to Costco resulted in a 45 minute hunt to find a parking spot large enough to accommodate the sheer manliness of the DODGE RAM, I knew we needed a change. Enterprise presented us with two options 1) Take a PT Cruiser, which Dan and I make a regular habit of mercilessly mocking or 2) Pay $6/day and upgrade to a black Cadallic CTS (a dream car of mine in my dream color). The frugal money saving option was clear. But I'd rather be shot than seen in a Cruiser. We handed the man our credit card and drove away in the CTS. We shall greatly miss our brief stint with a luxury vehicle, especially the way the seat warmer toasted my cold buns while driving Dan to school at 5 am....
The only other news worthy thing to report: We got a Pizza Stone. (I know, its been a boring two weeks when you're writing about a pizza stone.) We have an unhealthy (in many ways) obsession with Pizza. I've spent weeks researching and waiting for the arrival of my pizza stone. Its maiden voyage today as a fast breaker was a disaster. Transferring my creations from a Pizza peel on to a Pizza stone ended in a mess and tears (I was very very hungry.) In the end, it tasted okay, but was ugly.
  • Dan continues to put in long days doing menial jobs at the Presidio while waiting for his reserved spot in SEPTEMBER to start French
  • I continue to put in long days making the world more superficial and less wrinkled while trying to figure out what I want to REALLY do with my life...
  • Though were ready to "get moving on," we feel fortunate to both have jobs to put long days into. And we have each other. And Pizza.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Lauren I love you, you crack me up. If you ever figuare out how to get the pizza stone to work let me know. So far I've discovered if you sprinkle some corn meal on the surfaces you work with your pizza doesn't do as bad.

Лена said...

I love you new car. I wish you guys could keep it forever, then you could drive us everywhere!:) Pizza Stone?... out of my league!:)

Jane said...

haha nice pizza! After a couple attempts myself I decided papa murphey's was a better way to go for me. those bibs are cute! good job. And the cadillac? Our high school selves would be in heaven rolling around in that thing. then we would have never had to ask stan to take us to cafe rio and the movies. p.s. I'm a little freaked out I have no surfacing memory of supercross in vegas with my parents. how can I not remember that? you'll need to give me more details.

Anna said...

Girl! You in that car, I can totally see it and I like what I am seeing. The bibs are adorable and if Dan ever finishes that ghillie suit I could only dream he would let me take it out for a spin!

The Burr's said...

The bibs are so cute! I want to learn how... will you teach me? Im jealous of the cts, very beautiful! Hey now you can start a brick oven joint with your pizza stone!.. I would eat there everyday:)

Aimee said...

sewing and me do not get along at all. you can just ask don who is still waiting for his vest I started oh...13 years ago :) I always thought Cruisers were ugly then I got one as a rental and now I absolutely HATE them. Good choice