Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stuff White People Like

Among my favorite humor blogs (alongside Cake Wrecks and Passive Aggressive notes) is Stuff White People Like.  Its so funny. And so true. We just lived #128: Camping.
'If you find yourself trapped in the middle of the woods without electricity, running water, or a car you would likely describe that situation as a “nightmare” or “a worse case scenario like after plane crash or something.” White people refer to it as “camping.”'
(Cory & Quinta)

(Rebecca and Chris)
("Uncle Dan's" little helper)
Some of our friends (incidentally all white) invited us to go camping this last weekend and Dan & I were down for an adventure. It started out a bit crazy (really long windy nauseating drive to a full campground in a "dixie downs" like location and then a reroute), but all is well that ends well! We ended up in a really nice State Park and had a fun night.
(this is the pretty state park. but you can't really tell, due to the fact this was taken with a cell phone. all the pictures were, because someone forgot to charge her aforementioned regretted fancy giant camera)
"Once in the camp area, white people will walk around for a while, set up a tent, have a horrible night of sleep, walk around some more. Then get in the car and go home. This, of course, is a best case scenario. Worst case scenarios include: getting lost, poisoned, killed by an animal, and encountering an RV. Of these outcomes, the latter is seen by white people as the worst since it involves an encounter with the wrong kind of white people."
(I personally think Dan & Cory's leg weapons make them look like the "wrong kind of white people")
The RV thing is true. The "camp host" was this totally drunken mountain man who told us bizarre stories of his previous life as a therapist/hypnotist when we went to his RV to try to buy fire wood from him. Awesome. 
( I am pale and cold. But I like camping near the Pacific Ocean)
The true reason to camp = s'mores. Quinta and Rebecca introduced me to this amazing concoction: the Reese's smore. It is an experience.


Dan and I are hoping to do some more outdoor recreation in the next few weeks. Try to make the best of the ETERNITY we have left in Monterey. Perhaps do some backpacking with REI gear. Nothing is whiter than that.


 

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha ha ha, what is wrong with white people these day???

I'm going to have to try the new smores, but I think I'll roast my marshmellows over my stove.

Jane said...

You had me at stuff white people like. I knew it was going to be entertaining, and it was, as always.

The Burr's said...

Camping looks like a lot of fun, even if its a white people thing! The RV guy.. little Creepy!ha. Those smores have to be good! IDK why i never thought about that, I Love Reeses!

Rebecca Luke said...

I'm totally stealing some of these photos from this post! And yes, it's true, camping is such a white thing to do!!!! And I LOVE it! I'm hoping we are able to go camping at least once more before we move. Chris really wants to reserve a site somewhere at Big Sur before we leave. We should go together again! But this time we'll make sure we know where we're going ;)