In a true spirit of equality, instilled in me by a Mother who divided Easter Candy among all children in a true communistic fashion that Karl Marx himself would be proud of, I couldn't do a Mother's Day post without a follow up Father's day post. Which is cool, because my Dad is rad and provides plenty of material.
I thought this picture was fitting, since my Mom's also featured a AR 15
Note: My parents are actually not gun nuts. Just FYI.
He may look mean in the picture (not really though), but my Dad is pretty much the nicest Dad in the world. Some of my favorite childhood memories are the adventures my dad took us on:
bike rides down Parowan Canyon, hikes to the water tower, and exploratory trips to the Arizona Strip for the collection of cow bones or rocks from a Gypsum mine. He was also the treat hook up. Dad took us on runs to the store just to get candy, and he always let me get a King Size Butterfinger!
I loved going to run errands with him as his little buddy, we'd listen to NPR in the truck and I always felt so intellectual and cool alongside him.
He is such a good little girl dad! Though some men talk despairingly about being "cursed with only daughters" I don't remember him saying anything of the sort.
He is such a good little girl dad! Though some men talk despairingly about being "cursed with only daughters" I don't remember him saying anything of the sort.
I was always proud of my dad, and thought he was the coolest! The marathon runner, the hardcore biker, the rapeller - he's so active and outdoorsy. He's an artist too, though he denounces that word and the black turtle necks that go with it. He is though - he draws (cool monster faces during sacrament meeting) and paints wonderfully and creates beautiful stained glass pieces.
I know he's super burnt out of being an ER doctor. He works so hard at a job that sucks his soul like a dementor. But he continues to do it in order to provide well for our family.
He's so funny. He has a great sense of humor and always makes people laugh. And sometimes he is kinda goofy. He seriously loves our dogs and makes up theme songs for them ("Cedric the Beagle, he's a wonderful dog!". Its kind of hilarious. I just love my Dad.
I know he's super burnt out of being an ER doctor. He works so hard at a job that sucks his soul like a dementor. But he continues to do it in order to provide well for our family.
He's so funny. He has a great sense of humor and always makes people laugh. And sometimes he is kinda goofy. He seriously loves our dogs and makes up theme songs for them ("Cedric the Beagle, he's a wonderful dog!". Its kind of hilarious. I just love my Dad.
Rick
Dan's dad always makes me smile. He's such a sweet guy, and he does dance workouts - which makes him automatically awesome. Dan has fond memories of his Dad taking them one on one to BYU football games, chaperoning choir trips as "the cool parent", and countless other devoted Dad tasks. He's an avid golfer, Back to the Future movie watcher, and biker. He makes a great father in Law, always friendly and willing to help in anyway.
Dan's dad always makes me smile. He's such a sweet guy, and he does dance workouts - which makes him automatically awesome. Dan has fond memories of his Dad taking them one on one to BYU football games, chaperoning choir trips as "the cool parent", and countless other devoted Dad tasks. He's an avid golfer, Back to the Future movie watcher, and biker. He makes a great father in Law, always friendly and willing to help in anyway.
He's Just a wee bit taller than my G'ma
Grandpa Howdy!
So have I called my Mom's dad since I was little, due to his trademark greeting. He's a big guy and he's in amazing shape. He could probably out run me right now. I'm not going to lie, I'm still a bit scared of him. Once when I was little (okay, it was only a few years ago) I couldn't control my horse and he yelled at me and I was so scared I peed my pants, then cried and cried. But I realize he's not really that scary. He just loves us a whole lot. And didn't want to see me die due to my equestrian retardeness. He's a great doctor, a good golfer, and an even better Grandpa. Oh, and he makes a good scone!
So have I called my Mom's dad since I was little, due to his trademark greeting. He's a big guy and he's in amazing shape. He could probably out run me right now. I'm not going to lie, I'm still a bit scared of him. Once when I was little (okay, it was only a few years ago) I couldn't control my horse and he yelled at me and I was so scared I peed my pants, then cried and cried. But I realize he's not really that scary. He just loves us a whole lot. And didn't want to see me die due to my equestrian retardeness. He's a great doctor, a good golfer, and an even better Grandpa. Oh, and he makes a good scone!
Grandpa Benson
It was nice growing up semi close to my Dad's father. He had a farm when I was young where he let me bottle feed a calf and play with his sheep dogs - which was kind of the highlight of my 1st grade life. His stories from being in the Navy during the Korean war are really interesting, I love when he tells them. He's a sweet man who likes simple things and stability: ie not leaving Parowan unless absolutely necessary, and eating bread and milk for dinner every night. He sings a lovely song about people getting ground up in a meat grinder. It's awesome. And not for young children.
It was nice growing up semi close to my Dad's father. He had a farm when I was young where he let me bottle feed a calf and play with his sheep dogs - which was kind of the highlight of my 1st grade life. His stories from being in the Navy during the Korean war are really interesting, I love when he tells them. He's a sweet man who likes simple things and stability: ie not leaving Parowan unless absolutely necessary, and eating bread and milk for dinner every night. He sings a lovely song about people getting ground up in a meat grinder. It's awesome. And not for young children.
Dan is not a dad - nor will he be anytime soon! (now that we're going on 2 years, anything can be perceived as announcement..) - but he still deserves a shout out. I know that Dan will be a spectacular Dad someday. It warms my heart to see him with little kids, he's so fun with them. And though he teases about giving away any girl babies we may have, if he ends up like my dad with no sons, I know he'll be a great little girl dad too. As long as they don't end up being gingers. Then we really will give them away. Kidding! Kind of.
Happy Father's Day!



4 comments:
Yeah! Stanibal is the best! You almost forgot one of the most awesome things of all he did for us. Remember when he would let you drive us to cafe rio and he would not only give me shotgun but if I can recall, actually lay down in the backseat so no one would see him, therefore making us look totally cool (or so we thought). That is so hilarious.
My dad in big bold letters? I am pretty sure he is MY Dad!
What? may i ask is wrong with gingers? Um... Your posts are always awesome. I love that pic of Grandpa, so fitting, as is the one with your dad
That is a fantastic post, you really do come from great lineage. I'm with Aimee on those pictures, there great and I'm glad that one of Grandpa's sons will carry on the tradition of cool songs.
Post a Comment