Muslims have a holiday called Ramadan that lasts a whole month, which I thought was pretty sweet. But we Benson's have something similar, but without all the unpleasantness of fasting during the day. It is called: June.
We have all of our Birthdays (Dan, Mine, Kat, Anna's, and the early celebration of Katheryn's), Father's Day, Our Grandma's B-days.... Add it all up and basically we're eating out and bingeing on treats all month long. It's awesome. And fattening. Shall I begin:
The celebration of my big 22 started off a bit early when my darling Branda made me the most delicious thing known to man: Banana Cake. It's kind of like crack. But with more carbs. And she even decorated it all fancy.
(kat reading to Brek about real animals)
Whilst visiting I also got to see my Godson, Brekken aka T-Rex. His previously mentioned darling mother does not believe in dinosaurs. Like they never existed. Well, at least thats what she said when we were 15. So it's kind of a long running debate. I make a point to inflict these falsified dinosaurs on her whenever possible. In this case by providing Brek with propaganda to further the conspiracy.
(my mom made me this sweet Jem and the Holograms B-day poster)
After a nice jaunt down the I-15 I arrived in my beloved STG and the celebrations began in full swing. My big 22 had all the makings of a perfect birthday:
Starting out with a morning Spin Class, with black lights, at Desert Palms.
Then going with my Mama and sisters to see the movie "Babies." It was throughly enjoyable. And totally amazing that the Mongolian baby survived year one.... Watch it. Crazy stuff.
Eating out: Pasta factory. Later in the week we went out to Benjas, Cafe rio (multiple times), the Sweet tooth fairy... Lets just not think about the calories, shall we....
It's not a birthday without a giant bow on your head and a pained facial expression!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies may be the best thing to ever come into my life. A b-day necessity. And now for the next day, repeat, Kiersty Kat style:
There was also non-bday related activities. Like biking.
It is a well established fact that I lack balance and coordination. After many Spinning Classes though, I felt I was ready to ride on an actual bike. With the aid of my mom's beach cruiser and it's remarkable stability, I was able to successful bike about Santa Clara without crashing into a Yucca Plant. Anna however was still concerned about how "spazey" my riding style was. She took it upon herself to ride in front of me waving a red sprinkler flag, to alert oncoming traffic of my biking disabilities. For my saftey. Of course.
Have $30 of b-day money burning a hole in your pocket and a penchant for all things sparkly? Then have I got a solution for you: glitter gel toes.
Anna took me out to a salon where they apply gel to your nails, slather it in that evil Martha Stewart Glitter (see Glitter Pumpkins Project of '09) and send you on your way, happier than you ever imagined toenails could make you.
The picture of mine and my sister's toes was taken at Sand Hollow. Location of Katheryn's birthday party. Where, on my last day, with copious amounts of sunscreen, I was able to get a bit of pigment back in my legs - without turning into a lobster. Success!
(katheryn's party group on Dr. Tremea's boat)
I have 6 months till my next planned STG visit and I'm already totally homesick. Which has lead to some slightly premature excitement for Christmas... Anyway, who is up for making gingerbread?


4 comments:
Wow i can't believe that June is that big of a party in your family... I had no idea dan's was also in june! It was so good to see you, and im very glad my cake was just as good as crack;)ha. I still am undecided about the whole dinosaur thing(and i think its way funny your dad still remembers/talks about it! But Brek sure loves that book, you may make him a dino lover yet! You are an awesome godmother:) Glad you had a fun Birthday, and a KA time in the STG! One day, one day we will live there again and be cool and tan way to much:)
Yeah for all the birthdays. Don't feel bad about your bike riding abilities. Just ask Jenni about hers :) Happy belated by the way
Happy birthday! We're finally climbing the charts age wise and no longer have to be embarrassed when asked our age! I'm glad you had so much fun in St. George. Way more exciting than my comparable of petting jim's cats and shopping while I'm there. Next time you go down hopefully I will be able to as well so we can party like it's 2005.
Thanks Aimee for confessing my shame. At least we are in the same boat, maybe it's genetic.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to everyone. I'm glad you got to go home for a visit.
Post a Comment