Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Preparing for the End of the World

I totally wasn't joking about further white-ifying ourselves by becoming backpackers.... So for a Memorial Day weekend celebration, we began our new hip hobby by following the first White People formulary step of spending a small fortune at REI. 
We purchased me a backpack and both of us sleeping bags, with me constantly fretting about the other uses for this money (iphones! p90x! panini makers!) and Dan justifying the gear with "This will be essential WHEN the Zombies attack."
( it was pretty)
We struck out with our ultra cool gear Friday night after I got off work. I got off later than planned so we ended up having to hike in the dark for an hour with our headlamps (which yes, I gave in and got one).
(lots of cool burnt redwood trees)
Ten miles doesn't sound like a eternity, but when you factor in the heavy bag, and going up hill rugged terrain - its quite a work out. The area sure was beautiful though.
(the ultra light  2 lb tent, good thing I wasn't carrying a camera that weighed 5x as much)
We pitched our tent, spent the night, and then hiked it all over again. Pointless? Maybe. But actually pretty fun...
(there were even dogs wearing shoes! I can't handle it)
 As an added bonus, we saw several dogs that were backpacking too. As in carrying their own gear. My dog envy was out of control. There was at least an hour of me telling Dan the top 500 reasons we should throw all caution to the wind and go adopt a dog right then.
There will be more such trips in the future. I like that we've found a hobby that gives us lots of time to talk, commune with nature, and burn calories. Dan likes that we've found a hobby that gets us gear and skills to prepare for the eminent apocalypse of the undead. That's what we call win, win, win.

7 comments:

tifsong said...

i love how you write. and i love your adventures. for reals.

loveTIF.

Лена said...

How fun! Loved the dog in shoes! Hope when we come tonight you'll have a little adopted dog home:)

Jennifer said...

:0) You make me laugh. I wish we had doen more of that white people stuff when we were there.

Don't get the dog, at least not yet.

Lauren said...

you are the coolest love!! I love you!!!
dan

Jane said...

ew.. kudos to you my friend! because that will be the day when you see me backpacking in nature. I can't believe you slept under those conditions. You are rugged.

The Burr's said...

I'm impressed! 10 miles both ways? Talk about hard core hikers!! It does look gorgeous. Those dog shoes are awesome ha..

Aimee said...

It's about time dogs start carrying their own weight. You picked a beautiful spot and the safest place to be when the undead apocalypse comes is upstairs in that room that has the one window and the overlook on the front yard. But make sure you get there through the back room so they can't come up the stairs.