With a large Military demographic, the city of Monterey has no choice but to honor such a patriotic holiday as the Fourth of July. Just check out the calender of events on their website:
4th of July Parade - CANCELLED
Fireworks over the Harbor - CANCELLED
I'm not sure if its their state's total debt crisis or a general Californian anti-America attitude, but there weren't any flags flying here. In their defense, I guess their was a BBQ at some park, on Sunday, while us God fearing people were at Church.
To add insult to injury, the town is littered with signs reading
"NO FIREWORKS IN MONTEREY! $1,000 Fine!"
And no, I'm not bitter about them ruining a wonderful holiday, thank you for asking.
Left to our own devices, we had a quiet (aside from Dan's Toby Keith blasting) BBQ at home on Saturday with our good friends the Streeters.
They showed Monterey and wore their Flag Shirts proudly. Awesome.
I made Texas Sheet Cake Cupcakes in homage to state that actually celebrates the country its part of.
America is Awesome. I came to this realization last year. As I sat in Amman on the 4th eating a really bad flag cheesecake (we didn't have access to cream cheese or graham crackers...) Angie and I made, it dawned on me that the USA really is the best country on earth, (Jordan is the worst by the way).
My home country offers opportunities and freedoms that people die trying get to, and soldiers give up their lives defending.
I am so proud to be an American. I know this is getting pretty deep for a blog with a Zombie header, but I appreciate our country and the wonderful life I enjoy because of it. Its something worth celebrating. Too bad Monterey didn't get the memo....

7 comments:
Those chocolate texas sheet cake cupcakes looks amazing!!!.. oh how I love sheet cakes:)Im sorry cali missed the memo.. The fireworks looked pretty dang cool though!
Mark's dad is still talking about those cupcakes! Mark and I got one each, he ate 4, I think:) Thanks for having us over!
Damn Monterey. I too am an avid American Lover. I was going to do a post on that later but we know how good I am at posts. I love the previous post too. That first picture is cool and if Monterey cancelled where is that pic of?
That was the thing I hated most about Monterey (CA). There attitude towards their own country.
I need the recipe for those cupcakes they look yummy.
Cheer up girl! Everything is temporary. Hopefully you will be in Utah next summer where every city has its own celebration & fireworks throughout the whole summer. Your treats looked yummy :)
Lauren you need to come back to utah. Not only did we have three days worth of parades, bbq's, car shows, and fireworks but we even got to enjoy illegal fireworks thanks to our non-religious neighbors (and merrill) that the sherriff driving by didn't even bother to stop. I just realized my comment probably isn't making you feel better. But remember, it can ALWAYS be worse.
Ah that flag cheesecake! It was pretty wonderful considering, but I don't think it would quite pass the test in the U.S. I can't believe you had to go WITHOUT FIREWORKS for 2 years in a row! Seriously, I'm surprised you are still patriotic. (It sounds like i'm being sarcastic, but I'm not).
Post a Comment