Sunday, October 24, 2010

BIG SUR XXX

No, it wasn't an Adult Entertainment Convention (my first thought).
Or a Straight Edge Meeting (Dan's first thought).
Rather, it was the 30th presentation of the Big Sur River Run 10k - Dan and I's first race post the infamous artichoke run. First off, the shirts were nowhere near as cool as sunglasses clad artichokes w/ legs, but still somewhat crazy looking.
But I seriously loved this race, it was beautiful. It ran through the campgrounds of Pfiffer Park, right along the river. 
(this is the ultra marathoner dude who won. he can run 100 miles. I hate him.)
Campers came out and cheered an banged on pans, there were two bands playing along the course, and it was actually sunny (of course it was raining and cold back on Gloom Mountain). 
(Dan and the Navy Seal, enjoying post-race Popsicles, courtesy of my beloved Whole Foods)
The Navy Seal in our ward actually lapped me and had enough energy to cheer me on while doing so (the course was made of a few loops). I felt bad as I was exerting myself at full force when I realized he was running 5 minute miles. Dang Navy Seals.
(with such a sweet bib number, how could I not get a PR?)
Also, let it be known that L. Mealy finished in front of D. Mealy - the Artichoke Champion has been dethroned!!! But he did have a handicap. The race started at 10 am, we usually do our runs at 6 am, and never eat before. Dan totally ate breakfast because this race was so late. And he totally ended up throwing it up. 
(she looked like Coach Bieste from Glee)
This big bodybuilder woman was impressed with his hard coreness and congratulated him on his vomit, hahaha. 
Our running efforts will culminate in a few weeks at the Big Sur Half Marathon. Then I can finally start my Ultra Marathon Training. Or go back to eating Croissants full-time. It's still TBD.

6 comments:

Лена said...

Way to go, guys!!! Race is not a race if someone did not throw up:) and when that someone is your friend - it's just so much more exciting!:) (just teasing) Good luck on a half-marathon training. I did it once and understood that I will never run a full marathon as much as I wanted too. If you will decide to do that, I'll be there to cheer for you all the way!!!!

Jennifer said...

I saw that super marathoner dude on a tv show about super humans. Anyway that is awesome you beat D. I love it when I have something I can hold over Daniel.
As Always love your posts!

Jaime said...

That was the first 10k that I ever did...like 9 years ago. I should have ran it this year. I didn't know so many ward members were running. I knew Emily was running it--did you see her? I think that's my favorite 10k to run. The T-shirts are always ugly though.

Haylee Caplin said...

Congratulations Lauren! That looks like a beautiful run. Keep it up and you'll be doing 26.2!

Aimee said...

I see the crazy toe shoes did not help D. Mealy. It looks so beautiful glad it was a good run

Anna said...

Awesome Blossom Possum! I really am having day dreams of team Anna and Lauren running the marathon with matching outfits! we will plan.