In the Holy State of Utah, generally in mid October, people bake delicious delights, package them with a paper ghost, and abandon them on your doorstep. It is known as "BOO-ing" someone.
Dan advised me against starting the tradition in a non-Utah non-Mormon area. He explained that doorbell ditching anything on someone's doorstop in Los Angeles would be sufficient provocation for a gun fight, EVEN if one was doorbell ditching GINGERSNAPS.
Still I held out hope that Monterey would emerge from being the most awful place on planet earth, and someone would "Boo" us. Today I gave up and decided to "Boo" myself. What started out as an innocent baking session escalated into chaos when our Landlord asked me if I could please not leave the house all day while workers of Hispanic origin re-painted the stairs to our apartment (how convient). I was trapped in a candy filled apartment. And what resulted was not healthy.
I made 3 varieties of cookies. Gingersnaps, Chocolate Chip, and Peanut Butter Cup to be exact. Don't worry, I packaged a few up and shared the boo-ing bounty with others.
But not before I ate myself into a cookie coma.
Also significant this month: "Spend Free October" went well... Kind of. I learned a few things, like that a family of 2 has no business with a Costco membership. Especially when only one of those persons likes the food bought there. I just threw away a giant thing of pesto, mango salsa, and baby spinach - all of which seemed like awesome ideas at the time. "I can totally eat a quart sized jar of pesto. In a month. By myself!" Wrong.
As for me, I continue to help alleviate the ever growing problem of facial wrinkles in the affluent Pebble Beach population. Outside of my job, I'm still loving my spinning classes and forcing myself to run. My Spin Teacher has promised Halloween music on Friday. And sadly enough, I'm super excited. The thought of doing jump drills to Thriller has me more excited than the average 4 year old is for Disneyland. Couple that with excitement at the knowledge that I have Reese's Peanut Butter Pumpkins hidden away for my personal consumption this weekend... Oh man, I just I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.



9 comments:
This is so cool that you started the Boo-ing thing. I wanted to start it in our condo-complex, but failed... However, I did make some treats yesterday(chocolate covered brownies). Very primitive, I know, and now I will eat them all by myself, because Mark needs to loose 2lbs before he goes to some leadership training for two weeks on Nov 5 (and they will do a weigh in their first day)... AND we still have two parties to attend with, I'm sure, lots of good food. Anyways, congrats to Dan on his new calling. I wish we were for his lessons! I'm excited for you to go to STG for Thanksgiving!!! Have fun!!!
Can I just say that Brad and I had the EXACT conversation about Boo-ing! (We tried giving Christmas cookies to our neighbors last year and they opened the door just far enough to get the plate of cookies in, and probably threw them away just in case we poisoned them). What makes things even better is that I printed out that same Boo-ing sign! haha We're awesome. If we were neighbors I would bake you holiday cookies!
I knew it was you!!! Thanks for the yummy treats. I swear you should open your own bakery, but no worries there will always be a spot for your stuff at our future cafe. Also, I'm just as excited about the Halloween music tomorrow. Maybe it will give me good ideas for music for Saturday.
Dude! I thought they only did Reese's eggs during Easter and I just learned they have pumpkins and christmas trees! They are so delicious. I was watchin how its made (on accident) and they said they make the eggs and pumpkins taste better on purpose by putting more sugar and more peanut butter to chocolate ratio. Now the only bad news is I can only find them in a mixed bag with gross hershey's creme chocolates. But I'm glad you've found some.
Oh and I'm going to st. george for thanksgiving too! We'll have to visit. Yay!
I have opened many of those IRS letters and cry a little every time. To be honest when I first saw your Reeses pumpkin picture I didn't read the text and thought it was a kidney and how cool it was then I saw the wrapper and read on. You are amazing by the way
We "boo-ed" after we were "boo-ed" here. We totally ate the goodies without thinking twice. We are not in LA.
Turkey Day just became a super exciting holiday that I am looking forward to!! I am so joyous happy you and Dan are coming! You will have to bake Thanksgiving festive yummies and I will be your number one helper.
Post a Comment