I want to like Yoga. I do. It's hip, healthy, and trendy. So I started off my saturday with a "Yoga Flow" class, and I hated every one of the sixty minutes of deep breathing. Instead of quieting my mind, I keep thinking to myself of millions of things that I could be doing instead of down dog. The rest of the weekend was much better. Dan was all jazzed about going to a sports bar to watch a Big MMA fight Saturday night. As much as I love watching actual proof that man descended from Apes, I was relieved when it evolved into a "Boys Night."
Conclusion: Yoga, painful massage, Sushi. Nothing good has ever come out of Asia. But girls night rocks.
In other news, I found writing last week's happy list seriously fun. The concept of happiness really intrigues me. I listened to a TED talk (which I'm prone to do whilst doing laundry or dishes, I am a weirdy) by a Economics Nobel Laureate on the very subject. Contrary to my personal beliefs, money (well lots of it) doesn't apparently bring happiness. "Making below $60,000 a year, people get exponentially unhappier the poorer they are, but above $60,000 it flat lines into one of the flattest lines I've ever seen."
So basically, I just need to start making $60,000 a year and I'm good to go.
Things that made me Happy this Week:
1) Sticking to my Grocery Budget
I've been pretty good w/ my resolutions thus far, except this one. I have the hardest time. But finally last week I did it. Instead of running to the store mid week if I ran out of something, I simply got creative and did without. (And I kept myself out of my grocery shopping place of Nirvana, Whole Foods, or "Whole Paycheck" as I've heard it called.) Pathetic perhaps, but it felt like such a victory to me.
2) Glitter Gel Toes
My kind, pregnant, friend Sue, sat on the ground for hours during the Super Bowl and did my gel glitter toes. They sparkle and fill me with ultimate delight. Thank you Sue!!!
3) Running
I seriously have not run since the 1/2 Marathon. Nada. But when Dan mentioned wanting to do an upcoming 10k, I decided to see if I still had it. Running 6.2 miles at a decent pace after 2.5 months of no running wasn't easy for me (granted I still Spin/fitness class it up daily) - but it felt so good.
I always keep in mind this cheesy quote: "Running is a mental exercise with physical benefits." I really believe it, when my legs are dying, its a total mind game. (It was only after this run that Dan revealed a conflict and we are no longer running that race. ha.)
4) Broccoli
Okay, this is the weirdest one. I'm struggling w/ the goal to eat more veggies. I mean, if vegetables actually tasted good, there wouldn't be so many obese people in the world. But I discovered a roasted broccoli recipe in my ATK magazine, and am now obsessed. In fact, I'm roasting more broccoli for dinner tonight! Take that evil carbs.
* Let us all pray that something exciting starts happening in my life, that there might be more pictures in future posts, and less words.




8 comments:
I am so proud of you for trying to eat sushi! Maybe one day we can invite you guys over for a sea-food dinner:) I love your Happy Lists! Keep doing them!
your so cute, i love reading your ramblings. keep it up!
I think it's the everyday simple things in life that are the most exciting especially when you find the happiness/humor in them. I like the happy list and I think I might take up to doing it myself.
I absolutely love your posts and I hate sushi. (okay I've never really tried it but I have never desired to. And nothing about Asia interests me....NOTHING)
Lauren I always love your ramblings! And you are so welcome for the sparkle I brought into your life, it makes me happy to know that I made you sparkle. I promise I have some things I will be posting soon... very soon! and its true sushi is a trendy thing but there are a couple good rolls at places only in UT... unfortunately not PG or Monterey... probably not even the whole state of CA for that matter!
Wow.. so much lauren, I love it! Your so called ramblings could be featured in an article and get great reviews! Your broccoli looks super good, you will Have to share your secret recipe!
awww what a great post girl! sushi is sooo yummy so yay for trying it! your ramblings are so cute! love the blog! i'll follow you if you follow me :)
My dear mother made your broccoli recipe the other day... DELICIOUS!
Post a Comment