I decided that we needed to go backpacking over Memorial Day weekend. I mean, Otto has a backpack, we HAD to use it. So I did what I always do when planning something: checked out a bunch of library books.
| [My 80 year old Grandpa is the best] |
I found it, the most awesome trail: Bighorn Crags in Challis, ID. Being that my grandfather is the expert in all things Challis Idaho, I gave him a call. "Oh yeah, I know Bighorn Crags. Beautiful, beautiful country. But high country! Go up there this time of year, they'll be snow up to your you know what!" (I have no idea why he didn't just say "snow up to your neck", but thats part of what makes Grandpa Howdy rad.) So basically he told me we would probably have to snow-machine up to the trailhead. And if we did make it on the trail, they'd find our backpack laden frozen bodies the next day.
![]() |
| [the crags, still want to do them someday. like july or august] |
Back to the drawing board. Except now its the day before we leave. And I have to find a non-frozen, dog friendly, nearby backpacking trip. Harder than its sounds. But I found one! Or so I thought...
We ended up getting a super late start on our departure day. So we decided to go camp somewhere nearby and then get started on the real deal the next day. We did a short ascent up Adams Canyon and spent the night overlooking the city.
It was nice, except for the fact that it was windy, Otto sucks at sleeping in a tent, and there were rocks everywhere. After possibly the least energizing sleep ever, we headed up to our real hike: Waterfall Canyon to Malan Peaks Trail.
It was hot. And I was slow. But we made it to the end of Waterfall Canyon and headed toward what my book described as a short, moderate, rocky path up to the Malan trail.
There is nothing moderate about this. With the help of nice passerby hiker, we were able to hoist Otto by his harness and leash up one platform, only to discover many more that would only be theoretically passable with climbing rope. Awesome.
We went all the way back out the canyon. I was discouraged, but still thought I could save this. I had to save this! I quickly asked Siri for the nearest State Park (dogs are allowed in State, but not National Parks). Antelope Island it was! We pulled up right as they were shutting the gate, only to be told they were at maximum capacity. And that is when I gave up.
Take home messages: Plan out your backpacking trip far in advance. Talk to people who have done the trail, find out if there is anywhere to pitch your tent where you will not end up with rock gouges in your back. Get in shape so you don't hold up your sister and husband and dog. Perhaps don't bring your 100lb dog who is afraid of heights. But most importantly,
DON'T TRUST A BOOK!



3 comments:
Oh how I love you and your adventures, even if books lie. Sorry that dog ownership in Logan has not been kind. Some people are just crazy.
I was going to plan our Yellowstone hikes with books, but I guess, I'll pass:)
Post a Comment