Sunday, July 18, 2010

Redneck Day.

Circa my year of 1st grade, Santa Clara elementary decided to take 2 hours of instruction time, which probably could have been used to teach me to read or something, and give it to the Rodeo. All of the students sat out front of the school and were propagandized by the clowns, riders, horses, and most importantly to me - THE RODEO PRINCESSES.
(this year's Utah Rodeo Princess. I want to be her.)
They were beautiful. Big curled blond hair, fake smiles,  pink hats, sequined tops, size 00 wranglers, and their bedazzled horses! They made the Rodeo sound like freaking Disneyland. On Acid. By the time their "presentation" was over, I knew that I MUST go to rodeo and join the Princesses in this fun fest. But as soon as I got home my dreams were smashed:

Me: Can we go to the rodeo? Please, they gave us free tickets! Its so much fun.
 The princesses said so!!!!
Mom: Lauren, dad's working tonight. I don't really want to take three
 little girls to a dirty dusty beer fest. You really won't have fun. 
Me: I'm going to kill myself. 

I lived on. And married Dan Mealy. The man who would take me to the 
Salinas, CA RODEO (and inadvertently, the horse parade)!!!



My mom was right, it was a dirty dusty beer fest (with a fair helping of animal cruelty, ever seen calf roping?). But on the later she was oh so very wrong:
It was way fun. Yee-haw for being Rednecks*.  
* Literally, we got super sunburned. We forgot once you go outside the boundary of Monterey city doom and gloom vanishes and there are actual rays of light. 

4 comments:

Aimee said...

so catching up on all the posts. I like Dans palladium shoes, it's what my wedding ring is made of. I dig your fancy watch, yummy treats and metallic looking dresser. As far as the rodeo princess...Chris and I like to go to the Rodeo here in Lehi for the half time show and more importantly to watch a cowboy hopefully get stomped on by a bull for being mean.

Jennifer said...

I seriously need to check your blog everyday. It makes me laugh and everyone could use a good laugh. Unless it's at the expense of someone falling in the sidewalk.

The Burr's said...

Oh looks like so much fun! I am so Jealous! We were suppose to go to a rodeo tonight till my sweet husband found out he had to work out in the middle of no where this week, and ruined our fun... GAY!

Haylee Caplin said...

Good for you girl! I love rodeos! You could totally be a rodeo princess :)