I'm not really sure what happened this summer, but I ended up running an inordinate amount of Half Marathons. Someone mentions a race, the thought of medals and chocolate milk comes into play, and the next thing I know I'm signed up for six races this season... Ridiculous, I know. But the only race I've done this year that I would do again is the one Anna and I did this weekend:
TOP OF UTAH 1/2
The night before the race, Anna and I debated whether we should bring sweatshirts - I didn't think we'd need them. But Anna, in her infinite wisdom and non-existent body fat, urged that we throw in some warm stuff - just in case. OH. MY. GOSH. It was soooo cold. Seriously, Logan in August is freezing (can't wait for winter to roll around!)
This is what freezing looks like. Its not cute!
And then we were off! Flattering pictures ensued as we proceeded down Logan Canyon. This race was awesome. The course was gentle downhill (read: not deathly downhill like Parowan), it was scenic, and there was a nice light tailwind - like angel wings pushing you along... Well maybe thats too far, but seriously, it was nice. Also nice was that Anna has been sick most the summer so I could actually keep up with her for awhile before she took off.
The pressure was on to finish in under two hours, being that Anna had a freshman orientation to get to. Luckily we both crossed with time to spare - though I really wanted to break 1:50, I finished in 1:51, with Anna coming in at 1:49.
The Moose medals were the real catalyst for getting us to sign up for this race. I'm a sucker for anything with a moose on it. Perhaps the most memorable element of this race will forever be what ensued afterword...After getting Anna up to USU, I headed home to find this:
Otto had broken through the baby gate (not that my shoddy assembling craftsmanship had anything to do with that....) and basically wrecked havoc on the house for 4 hours. I mean, I was almost impressed, he must have managed his time wisely. He was able to shred an entire roll of toilet paper, strew the contents of the bathroom garbage around, take shoes and dirty laundry out of our closet and deposit them in random places, pee on my egyptian tapestries!, and eat an entire stick of body glide:
Don't worry, poison control assured me he'd be fine.
But back to the happy stuff...Later that evening I got a call that from a florist trying to deliver to my house. Getting flowers stresses me out - they die so quickly and they're ridiculously expensive (I mean I'd rather have a lulu tank than a bouquet of roses!). I was so excited to see that they weren't actually short lived flowers, but that my Mom and Dad had sent us congratulatory potted plants!
Overall, I'd recommend the Top of Utah to anyone as an awesome race. But I'd also recommend securing your destructive puppy before you go. Just a tip.

7 comments:
Congrats on all of your races. I want to start half marathons one day. Your my inspiration.
Looks like Otto had a blast at least! Good job on your races; and that's an awesome hobby! Ps where are you living now? Your house looks nice.
You're on a roll this summer, for sure! I wish they had moose rewards when I ran it. And I guess, your nose was didn't suffer the rush of cow/horse smell on mile 10. That was the thing that got to me. Oh and potted plants under my watch die before you can sneeze, I'm sure you're better than me!:)
Wait are you in Logan or St. George?
Congrats on the moose medals! Those for sure make it worth it! Next year I will have to join you! (since it was such a grand race and all:) Thats great anna came to run with you! You both did amazing!
Oh and when you decide you want children, they may be easy compared to the mess otto makes! just sayin:)
Post a Comment