I love to run races. I love the tiny town of Parowan. So when I heard about the Parowan Half Marathon "Yankee Meadow Run", I knew I needed in. I was able recruit my dad to join in, Parowan is his hometown and the source of all goodness and light after all. But my delight reached new levels when my BFF Brandalee decided to get in on this action. At long last, yesterday was the big day, and off to Iron County we went!
We carbo loaded at the Pizza Barn (one of only 3 restaurants in Parowan). It was... carb filled.
And then headed over to sleep at my Grandpa and Grandma Benson's house. Branda and I stayed up late talking in their beautiful backyard, it was almost just like the good old days! Except our version of late is now 10 p.m., not the 3am of yesteryears. When we were getting ready to leave for the race at 6 am, my Grandma got up and wanted to take our picture, "Go stand by Jesus so I can take your picture." She's rad.
The race started up at the Yankee Reservoir. It was really pretty.
At the starting line, for reasons unknown, my dad identified this super tall guy as his archenemy - the one he must beat! Don't worry, he achieved his goal - by quite a ways.
I tried to take some action shots without breaking pace, it turned out some really flattering and clear photos (not). Also, parts of this course were so steep it was dangerous - I'm hoping that why my face looks so scary. I'm still marveling that I didn't biff it.
Probably the best picture of Branda ever. I told you I got some good ones.
My Grandma took this one, hence why its good. My Dad rocked it, finishing his "comeback run" in record time. Go Dad!!! Branda also set a new half marathon PR. And she has two busy little guys to take care of. She's my hero.
Speaking of her busy little guys, they came up to see her finish and cheer her on. Are they not the cutest little family ever? I vote yes.
So this run was sort of low budget... No finishing medals. But no worries, they had finisher bandanas!!! What does one do with an awesome yellow bandana like this? Well, of course tie it on your baby chocolate lab while he bites your face off.
Branda and I ran cross country together in High School. We were awful. No really, we were. We were way too busy talking about boys and giggling to concern ourselves with such things as "running" and "running fast". Being reunited in an actual race where we actually tried our best just proves that our running, and our ten year old friendship, only gets better with age.







5 comments:
This is awesome! Congratulations on yet another successful and fun race. Your friend is now my hero as well, since from my race I haven't run once. Oh well. I still can't believe that you have a baby of your own. Can't wait to meet little Otto.
Congrats on the half marathon! Your pictures are great!
I'm so glad we were actually able to "run" together in a race! Who would have thought we would be doing hard core races?... definitely not blair! I credit you for my PR. Your awesome pace made it possible! (Even with the "ridiculous, very dangerous" steep incline w/gravel!) I had so much fun with you and your dad! Its been too long! We will have to plan more adventures soon!! I miss you already!! Hope things go well in your new home:)!
I'm so glad we were actually able to "run" together in a race! Who would have thought we would be doing hard core races?... definitely not blair! I credit you for my PR. Your awesome pace made it possible! (Even with the "ridiculous, very dangerous" steep incline w/gravel!) I had so much fun with you and your dad! Its been too long! We will have to plan more adventures soon!! I miss you already!! Hope things go well in your new home:)!
So cute Lauren! I love the bandanas, I would have rather had those than the shirts from some other races. Good job on running another 1/2 already, I haven't ran once since Bryce :/
Post a Comment